Honored Contributor

Re: Cool climate vacation in North America............

@Susan in California wrote:

I would suggest San Francisco.  Remember what Mark Twain said:

The coldest winter he ever experienced  was a summer in San Francisco.

Also, Monterey about a hundred miles South of SF also on the coast.

I remember attending a wedding in San Francisco one August about five years ago.  Some people who had flown in from the midwest said they had experienced a fifty degree change from

where they had left to arriving at SFO.

@Susan in California . We went to my nephew's wedding two summers ago (in August) in Sonoma and it was freezing!  He had his cocktail hour outdoors in the early evening at a lovely vineyard and we were all so cold....thank goodness the reception was indoors.

Respected Contributor

My hubby and I loved San Francisco and Napa - lots of stuff to do.

We were there at the end of May and froze - it was in the 70s.  We went in an ice cream shop and the shop girl commented how lucky we were to be visiting SF when it was so warm lol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Michigan!  So many pretty places to visit in summer....all around Great Lakes.....especially west side up to Traverse City.....and, of course, Mackinac Island!  U.P. has many nice spots to visit too.....St. Ignace, Tahquamenon Falls, and the Soo Locks (Sault Ste. Marie)....watch freighters go through the locks....very interesting.

Trusted Contributor

Well, here in Virginia we have had only one (maybe two) warm weekend the entire Spring season.  It's 58 outside now.  Nothing to escape from yet.

Respected Contributor

@walker wrote:

Michigan!  So many pretty places to visit in summer....all around Great Lakes.....especially west side up to Traverse City.....and, of course, Mackinac Island!  U.P. has many nice spots to visit too.....St. Ignace, Tahquamenon Falls, and the Soo Locks (Sault Ste. Marie)....watch freighters go through the locks....very interesting.

I agree that Michigan is a wonderful place to visit in the summer, but it gets pretty darned hot and humid here as well. We're supposed to be in the upper 80's-low 90's with high humidity all the way from the southern border, up to the bridge starting this weekend. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

Door County, Wisconsin - across Lake Michigan from Traverse City, MI

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Door County, Wisconsin - across Lake Michigan from Traverse City, MI

Traverse City, Mi is really advertising in the Dallas-FW market