Respected Contributor

Any  recommendations for adapters/converters to be used in Europe?  Do you need both?  Are converters mostly for heated appliances?

My Calista says 100-240V.  Not sure what that means...

Respected Contributor

A converter is an adapter, I think.  You'll need to use one for  every electical item you have, because the holes in the electical outlets in Europe (and other places) don't match up to the prongs on any electical plug from the US.  You only need one adapter, unless you need to plug in more than one appliance at once.

Get a set that that can be used world-wide, not just in Europe.  You never know when you might need to go to Asia.Smiley Happy

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

The converters/adapters you need will depend on which country you are visiting.  You can find many different ones for sale on Amazon.  For modern iphones, you put your American charger plug into the adapter plug that matches the wall outlet in your hotel room.  They are made for international travel, so it's very easy.  For electric razors or an appliance that heats up, like a curling iron, you will need a voltage converter, unless the appliance specifically says otherwise.  I have seen many warnings not to even bring those kind of appliances to Europe, as they are likely to blow out and then have to be thrown away.

Respected Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

A converter is an adapter, I think.  You'll need to use one for  every electical item you have, because the holes in the electical outlets in Europe (and other places) don't match up to the prongs on any electical plug from the US.  You only need one adapter, unless you need to plug in more than one appliance at once.

Get a set that that can be used world-wide, not just in Europe.  You never know when you might need to go to Asia.Smiley Happy

No, the converter 'converts' the voltage from

110->220. So if your appliance isn't dual voltage , you need the converter.   The adapter just allows you to plug your 110 pronged plug into a gizmo that then fits/plugs into the converter (if necessary) or into the wall in the country you are in.  Then you are ready to brush, blow, heat or whatever your appliance does.   Hope that makes sense.