Frequent Contributor

Hi travelers!

We are a couple in our 60s & decided it's time to head out west! For some reason Colorado has always been on my bucket list - rafting, jeep tours, fly fishing, quaint towns, easy hikes & beautiful mountains.

Not knowing when we might make another trip west, should we concentrate on a few NPs instead of visiting CO?  Thinking Yellowstone, Glacier or Zion NP

I know this is a personal decision, but I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts thru. your experience.  Thanks for your suggestions.

Honored Contributor

My daughter lives in Denver.  I've visited her there several times.

I've always said my favorite place was Stratford Upon Avon in England (and it still is).  However, a close  place would be  Colorado.

If I were  younger and didn't have such bad arthritis (cold weather), I'd move there.  I like the people, I like the way they 'leave you alone', I like the lack of politics on TV- 24/7 and on and on.

She'd love for me to move there too!  Anyway, I know you'll have a wonderful time.  It always takes me a few days to get used to the thinner air, but after maybe 3 days, I'm good (and I don't normally have breathing problems.

Take care and please, please let us know how much fun you had when you get back.

Honored Contributor

@tulips   Rocky Mountain National Park is beautiful.  You'll get to see wild animals in their habitat.    Plus there so many towns to visit near the mountains.  Denver is a must see too.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Colorado this summer

[ Edited ]

I think the best of the mountains is whats called "the Western slope" or the part across the front range from Denver.  Grand Junction is a good place to fly into and puts you in range of Zion, Bryce (my favorite), The Arches, Canyonslands National Parks as well as the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.  There are wonderful mountain trips in the area around Gunnison; I'd suggest the Lake City area.  Closer to Grand Junction is Grand Mesa, the largest flat-top mountain in the world.  Late September would be the perfect time as the Aspen should be all golden yellow, crowds thin at the parks and its not so hot in canyon country.  The Western part of Colorado is known for its spectacular Aspen show.  All of this could keep you busy for months.

The best rafting is on the Arkansas River near the towns of Buena Vista and Salida

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I you stick to CO, Estes Park is gorgeous. Everyone loves Yellowstone, of course, but it is very crowded in the summer. Actually it is very difficult to choose between the National Parks out west. They are all breathtaking!

Respected Contributor

I agree with Kachina's suggestions. 

I would also add that Mesa Verde National Park near Cortez has Anasazi Indian Ruins.  That's a whole day thing.  The train ride from Durango to Silverton is a must if you're in that area.  Then you could do a chuck wagon dinner in Durango at night. 

Bryce Canyon is my favorite, but the heat of summer is too much.

But then you mentioned Yellowstone.  One of my all time favorite places.  Plenty of hiking, waterfalls, fishing, and you see lots of wildlife roaming.  The herds of buffalo block the main roads sometimes and the rangers have to move them.  You can go rafting not far away in Jackson WY, as well as chuck wagon entertainment.  Downtown Jackson is touristy with some expensive shops. 

I've been to Yellowstone many times, and I would still go back.  If you go there, you need to make reservations as early as possible.  They sell out by early summer.

Valued Contributor

My daughter and family were at Colorado Springs for over 4 years and still own their home, the are military.  I went every chance I could, so many times.  I live in Florida on the Space Coast and it is totally awesome but the Springs is out of the box.  As many times as I went, I was never able to see everything.  Delicious food - many varieties, wonderful zoo - especially at Christmas.  History everywhere and Denver is a short drive.  Air Force Academy is great.  Completely opposite of where I live but I love it.

Respected Contributor

We took a short trip to Colorado last spring. We started in Denver and drove to Colorado Springs to the Broadmore Hotel and Resort. There are many things to do in the Colorado Springs Area. 

We went to an afternoon Denver Rockies baseball game and then drove to Vail. We spent a few days there just relaxing. Aspen is a 2Hr? drive but we did not go eventhough it could be a day trip.

We drove about 4 hours to Santa Fe from Vail. I say 4 hours because you can stop on the way for some unusual things like the sand dunes or Leadville (an old mining town). From Sante Fe you are about an hour from Albuquerque. A day in Old Town is fun.

So if you are flying, use Denver and Albuquerque and your in and out locations. 

Frequent Contributor

Thanks everyone!

I think you've convinced me to stay in CO for this trip!  I have a basic itinerary set up but have added more to it with your suggestions, so keep them coming!

Now we have to decide whether to make this a late June trip or a September trip.    My reasoning for June is to be able to do the ww rafting as I heard that by late July, the rivers are slow going.  Silly reason but I really want to go rafting!

We'll fly into Denver, rent a car  ( I also read that it's best to rent away from the airport...????) & hit the road for 10 -12 days spending at least 2 nights in each area.    Mt. Princeton & the hotel in Ouray on the river are 2 definates.   

Any suggestions on where to start to avoid Altitude Sickness?

When I devise a better itinerary, I hope you all will chime in with suggestions & advice!

COLORADO here we come!!!!

Valued Contributor

The Broadmoor is a must see  My daughter lived super close to it and it was something special.  Make sure to drink plenty of water and I mean plenty or you will get a headache.  Colorado Springs is higher in altitude than Denver.