Valued Contributor

Re: Clothing for cruise to Alaska?

Thank you all! You have given such great suggestions, I really appreciate it!

Respected Contributor

I did an 8 day Alaska cruise in May a couple of years ago.   I took some of my Cuddl Duds fleece tops and they were perfect.  Warm, but not bulky like sweatshirts.   While it was cooler, it was not so bad that I couldn't enjoy my balcony.   

Trusted Contributor

Have a great time on the cruise!!! Others have given you great advice about layering. One thing I saw several people forget on our cruise to Alaska - sunscreen!! Nope it's not clothing but we saw way too many people coming back after a day outside, all red faced and end of the cruise still red peeling skin. 

Frequent Contributor

Make sure you have a rain jacket and umbrella.  I was there twice and both times had one day of rain.  Weather is is fine in August 70-80.

Spoiler

Honored Contributor

Don't overpack

I went in the summer, and it's not that cold.

Trusted Contributor

Can you get clothes washed on cruise ships??

Respected Contributor

@spud188 wrote:

On the vast majority of ships, yes. Some even have self-serve laundry facilities. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@spud188 wrote:

It's pretty pricy. I always bring packets of tide and woolite. As well as clothes pins and small portable clothes line. Can only do undies, tee shirt, bathing suit etc. Bathrooms are TINY.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Other than the advice about layers, the only advice I gain give is to try to snag a blanket in the evening early in the cruise. They’re great to wrap around you in the evenings on deck.

Agree - many cruiselines have their version of Movies Under the Stars and it can be in the 90s and high humidity during day and yet once it gets dark and with the breeze blowing on deck it can get pretty chilly.  

Respected Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

Layer! People bought sweatshirts on the trip. Jacket hooded as others stated.  A skirt  & fancy top for dinner. Or dress. Several pairs of walking shoes plus one dressy. Bug repellant! Mostly slacks & short sleeved shirts.  Have fun! 

Agree - I have two hooded sweatshirts I had to buy onboard a ship that I rarely wear bc it has the cruiselines logo splashed over it.