Valued Contributor

Clothing for cruise to Alaska?

Need suggestions please, going on an Alaskan cruise in July...what type of clothing to pack, please? I have never been to Alaska...Thanks for your best tips!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Clothing for cruise to Alaska?

barb40, we have been twice in July/August for two weeks.  One week on land and one week on the ship.  We did several tours.  You need a good pair of walking shoes and I had a 3/4 length all weather jacket with a hood.  I wore mostly long pants and capris & short sleeved & 3/4 sleeved tops.  I took a pair of shorts just in case & a swimsuit.  I had one dress for the two fancier dinners. Things that packed without a lot of wrinkles.  Have a great time!

Respected Contributor

@barb40    I went in June in the early 90s.  I did a small ship cruise.... only 51 passengers, and it was quite casual.  

Remember that you'll be in Alaska!  July, yes, but you'll want layers and some warm clothes.  I used my ski jacket, earmuffs, and gloves on the boat by the glaciers, and when I took a helicopter trip up to a glacier.  

All my time was on or near the water, including a day kayaking.  I don't remember being in just shirt sleeves.  Always at least a jacket or sweatshirt.  But, you'll be in there a month later than I was, so it might be warmer.  Check the forecasts for the places you'll be visiting in the days before you leave.  But, the things I'd plan on packing include jeans, t-shirts, sneakers, sweatshirts, jackets, gloves, hat, and sunglasses.  Shorts are questionable.  

I'm a real nature lover, and that was my favorite trip of all time!  (Until I take my bucket-list trip to Africa, at least!)  It's truly beautiful.  And one very cool thing.... You won't see a sunset!  

I'm envious!  Would love to be going back.  Enjoy your trip!

Super Contributor

Hi Barb40. I remember you from Ripka I think. I agree with the first commenter. My daughter was a cast member on an Atlantic cruise. We went once. She said it is either pretty  and beautiful or rainy and more rainy than not. We got the rain! And it was COLD and we went in July or August can't remember. I actually brought a heavy long sweater and used it more than once! A hat and gloves, and socks. I didn't bring boots but they could be useful. Depends upon the excursions you do. I wore leggings. I don't think I put on the shorts I brought once. OTOH, A friend went and said it was warm and she was led astray but comments such as mine. I have to say it was about the trickiest trip I've ever packed for. Layers, as they say, are the key. Have a wonderful time. It is beautiful country!

Honored Contributor

@barb40 

Agree with @ItsME  and @twinny70 , both gave you great advice.  Have taken two cruises each about nine days.  Never did I feel too hot 🥵!

One in June and one in May.

Highly recommend taking the Whale Watch  🐳 excursion.  If you do, go early in the AM.  Took the first morning option time-wise both times and saw Orcas & Humpbacks, mamas and babies too.  The people who went @ Noon didn’t see any.

Happy Trails

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Other than the advice about layers, the only advice I gain give is to try to snag a blanket in the evening early in the cruise. They’re great to wrap around you in the evenings on deck.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

I agree with the layers and jacket(rain) with hood. I was glad I had full socks not just ankle socks, gloves and something for ear warmth such as a band or ear socks. One guy in our land group had flannel lined jeans. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've been on two Alaska cruises and both times we were blessed with perfect weather.  We packed lots of light weight layers and primarily casual clothes. For dress I had one pair ponte knit black pants and changed out the tops (or went very basic and accessorized with jewelry or scarves.  

Esteemed Contributor

Layer! People bought sweatshirts on the trip. Jacket hooded as others stated.  A skirt  & fancy top for dinner. Or dress. Several pairs of walking shoes plus one dressy. Bug repellant! Mostly slacks & short sleeved shirts.  Have fun! 

Honored Contributor

You never know, it could also be very warm.  We almost roasted in our fancy, unairconditioned hotel in downtown Anchorage.  It can be very chilly on the deck of a ship that's underway so bring gloves, and binoculars for viewing wildlife.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment