Valued Contributor

Hello, I am looking for suggestions for travel to a Christmassy place in December in the continental US or perhaps Canada.  Thinking about early in December to get us in the Christmas spirit and before flights and airports get really crowded.  Hoping for festive decorations, a little shopping and a nice hotel. Could be to a city but New York might be too big and bustling and we're from California so too wimpy for the cold.  Please share your ideas from places you may have visited or from where you live.  Thank you!

P1060095 Copy.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@Wobin  I'm from eastern PA. We have often gone to Peddler's Village in Bucks County to take in the Christmas lights and check out the shops. There is an Inn and also restaurants on the property, but there are lots of cute B&B's in Bucks County. New Hope is nearby and Washington's Crossing for the history buffs. Art galleries and unique hand made items for sale in the area. Of course, lots of antiques. From Bucks Co. it's an easy one day trip to NYC. Philadelphia is also nearby with the famous Museum of Art and the Orchestra. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas season travel

[ Edited ]

I know you don't want to go to NYC, but I must add it to my list.  Best for Christmas overall.

Williamsburg, VA

Washington, DC

Boston, MA 

Las Vegas, NV

Lancaster, PA - Then drive to Peddler's Village in Lahaska, PA and on to Bethlehem, PA.  Close to Philadelphia, I'd check it out and Independence Hall where the Constitution was signed and also the historic area of Philadelphia.  

Charleston, SC

Anything in the Northeast will be cold, though.  

Newport Beach, CA is very nice at Christmas.  Check out the Christmas boat parade and fantastic shopping centers decked out with decorations.  

Valued Contributor

Williamsburg, Virginia

Esteemed Contributor

For me you can't get a better Christmas than in New England.   My recommendation would be to visit Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont, stay in a bed and breakfast and enjoy the magic of the season.   Crackling fireplace, heart warming dinners and the lights of the holidays.   There is so much to do in the wintertime...........skiing, sledding (or tubing) snowmobiling!     And lots of fun shopping, of course!   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Williamsburg, VA!  The Grand Illumination with bonfires, and fireworks, candles in all the windows, fresh decorations on the doors, and home tours. An ice skating rink on the Main Street. Christmas markets. 
Christmas town at Busch Gardens!
             🏰 🎆 🎠🎅🏼 🕯

Honored Contributor

Colonial Williamsburg, VA.  Went there for New Year's Eve one year.  It was beautiful.

Also have been to Disney World for New Year's Eve.  That was memorable.

NYC is great during the holidays.

NO place will be "cheap" this year.

Respected Contributor

Myrtle Beach SC was fun at Christmas. Not cold either. Did some shopping, saw some shows and enjoyed the beach.

Honored Contributor

The Inn at Christmas Place, Pidgeon Forge, TN.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

ThBiltmore, in NC

"

Christmas at Biltmore House

Quoted from the website :

" even more magical when adorned for the holidays - complete with 55 elaborate hand-decorated trees including the favorite 35-ft. live Fraser fir in the Banquet Hall, a thousand poinsettias, miles of garland, and live music. Throughout the estate, find 100+ decorated trees with 25,000+ ornaments, 1.5 miles of fresh garlands, 500 wreaths and sprays, 2,000 poinsettias and other favorite holiday plants, and 100 kissing balls! Find plenty of details and tips below. "