Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I purchased a TSA approved lock for my suitcase that is being checked...am I allowed to lock that bag?  I have not flown for quite a while so not sure about locking.

For some reason I think that the TSA approved locks are universal and TSA can open at their discretion.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs Yes, you should close your TSA approved lock. They can open it without breaking the lock. If they do open it, I usually have a card inside saying that they opened for inspection.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes @Worldtravler  is right.  I lock mine all the time.  I have had my bag inspected more than once.  They will leave a card inside notifying you that it was inspected.  They have a master key to unlock the suitcase if it's randomly picked.  Happy travelsSmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler  sorry I picked the wrong one!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes.

Honored Contributor

i get the TSA "love note" every.single.time. in my luggage.

i dont even lock my luggage anymore.

NO, it is not always RANDOM.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I purchased a web strap that is lime green and has the words "mine" printed on it. You put it around your suitcase (the long way....and through handles to keep secure) and latch it together. It is adjustable. Got it from Amazon.

Works great and we can spot our bags easily. Not very expensive either.

Valued Contributor

We've done the same thing with the lime green straps so we can identify our mostly black suitcases on the carousel.  And we use the TSA approved locks as well.

Trusted Contributor

I purchased the TSA-approved locks for my checked bag and received the TSA love note inside my bag and a broken lock. Go figure. Why even bother buying their special lock if they're going to break it anyway? I think it's very rude and adds to the expense of traveling. 

Honored Contributor

The luggage I bought from Marshall's has the lock embedded in the luggage.  You clip the zipper pulls into it.  It's TSA approved.

And it's bright pink, so you can't miss it ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN