Honored Contributor

One thing I know for certain is that I wouldn't fly Spirit even if I found a free ticket!

Honored Contributor

I think I've used Cheap O, if not one similar.  I didn't have any seat problems.  Would American not assign you a seat?  I fly United and even though I bought the ticket elsewhere, I was still able to pick seats from the other company when booking and could change them around on United's website.  If that doesn't work, get to the airport early to get seat assignments.  I wouldn't be concerned about not having a seat.  You may have one you don't like or are seated in opposite ends of the plane.  In my experience, the airlines really try to accommodate seat choices.

Honored Contributor

Lol... @millieshops, that's the way my husband feels.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops - We were flying Spirit frequently to NY and they are tough to take. For me its only an 1 1/2 flight so I can deal with it, but I wouldn't take it long distance.

Respected Contributor

Re: Cheap O Air fares

[ Edited ]

American designates lowest priced seats.  Usually they are middle seats, scattered all over the back of the plane. You are not allowed to use the overhead bins. If you get an extremely low fare, more than likely you will have one of these seats.

I know someone who used Cheap O and when she went to check-in at the designated airlines, she was bumped and put on standby. Another time she had an aisle seat.  That flight was only about half full.

Respected Contributor

You should be able to get your PRN/confirmation number for the flights. Just go to the AA website, enter that, pull up your reservation and check your seat assignements. If they're not to your satisfaction, you may be able to change them. Keep in mind, that on most major airlines (DL, UAL, AA), their very cheapest fares are known as "basic economy" and there are no advance seat assignments. If this is the fare you purchased and did get seat assignments, I wouldn't mess with them.

I never, ever use the consolidator sites. I always book directly with the airline. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Re: Cheap O Air fares

[ Edited ]

about a month or so ago we purchased tickets to vegas via southwest for travel in early august. from bwi to las.  we are paying $247 round trip non-stop, and that includes early bird check-in.

i do always prefer to book directly with the airline. i also like that if you ever find a cheaper price at southwest they will adjust your cost.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@lulu1, your story sounds familiar.  Since I "booked" yesterday my seats have been changed.  Unbeknownst to me, the seats that looked available that I picked were not given to me.  I paid for aisle seats for my husband with me in the middle.  Turns out, right now, I have only one aisle seat and it's further in the back.  Wasn't charged for the dropped aisle.  Supposedly the seats I have now are confirmed by AA.  I was sent an itinerary supposedly from American Airlines.  

Going, we're in row 21.  Coming back, in row 29.  That sounds like the back to me near the toilet.  Initially, we were in row 13 or 14, I think.  Lesson learned, lol.  Right now, I just want a safe, uninterrupted trip.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1, I went to American 's site yesterday to check seating assignment but my August date wouldn't show.  Too soon.  You're right about leaving well enough alone if I actually already have seats.  I'm gonna load up on Dramamine and be happy in the back.  And it looks like if hubby doesn't have an aisle seat, he has a window and I'll be in the middle so, unfortunately, he will feel like a sardine.  Life, lol.

Respected Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@FrostyBabe1, I went to American 's site yesterday to check seating assignment but my August date wouldn't show.  Too soon.  You're right about leaving well enough alone if I actually already have seats.  I'm gonna load up on Dramamine and be happy in the back.  And it looks like if hubby doesn't have an aisle seat, he has a window and I'll be in the middle so, unfortunately, he will feel like a sardine.  Life, lol.

If American has indeed assigned you seats, you should be able to access the seat map now, although it's sometimes tricky on Saturdays when they do schedule changes. They do advanced seat assignments up to 360 days out. August is in no way too soon. And if you paid for an aisle seat and didn't get one, then you're owed a refund, but you'll have to get that thru the site you purchased your tickets from. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~