Honored Contributor

Cheap O Air fares

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone.  I was looking for low airfares to Las Vegas for next month and found they were extremely high.  As much as $314, senior rate, one way.  Over $1200 for my husband and me.

My nephew told me to try CheapOAir.  I went on, followed the prompts and lo and behold...$146 each.  So I booked.  My booking confirmation was emailed to me but I noticed either a seat was pending or missing.  So I called and it turns out that the airline, American didn't give me those seats.  So now I'm confirmed by American for other seats...in the mid back.  I'm hoping my husband still has aisle seats.

Have any of you used this company for booking before.  I'm nervous now that we won't have seats and be bumped. My credit card did get charged for air travel but it looks like insurance was added.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie You probably have seats, but next time book with the airline. I've been booking for our employees for many years. It's always better to go with the actual airline and the actual hotel. This my opinion and others may not agree.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh I totally agree with PA-mom - - - no second or third party for me.  Rather pay more than get left at the gate b/c sub-contractor's promise wasn't baked in the cake.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom, that does make sense, to go directly to the airlines and we did.  Prices were higher.  The only ones cheap were Spirit and Frontier flying in the middle of the night with a stop which made the flight as long as seven hours.  Southwest, yesterday wanted $314 one way to Las Vegas for one of us which added up to over $1200.  I was amazed.

Thanks @PA Mom-mom.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

The earlier you can book is usually the better. Airline prices usually change on Tuesdays - up or down. In all my years of booking flights, I don't understand the pricing. Frontier, Southwest, etc are good if they fit your schedule and destination. 

Esteemed Contributor
I haven’t used American for domestic flights in a very long time. Sounds like you spoke with the airline and you are definitely on the flight. The only thing I would question was what kind of ticket you have - doesn’t American have seats where you can’t use the overhead bins? I think everything costs extra now - choosing a seat, baggage, etc. I would assume that you may get on the plane last, sit in a middle seat and pay extra for your bags. Then, I would be pleasantly surprised when that turns out not to be true.

I hope you remember to come back and let us know your experience. I know there are good fares out there, I’m just too picky (and probably a little chicken) to use them.
Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom, I'll keep that in mind.  I'm not a true traveler since I suffer motion sickness.  Last week, I was on a five day bus trip to Canada with a group of ladies (the bus was rocking, lol) and I started with Dramamine but one of the ladies gave me one of her three day transdermal patches which worked much better.  I even took a boat ride up to the falls.  It was wonderful even though I got drenched, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

The earlier you can book is usually the better. Airline prices usually change on Tuesdays - up or down. In all my years of booking flights, I don't understand the pricing. Frontier, Southwest, etc are good if they fit your schedule and destination. 

Southwest isn’t always so cheap anymore.  A few years ago, they beat everyone because they made a good investment in oil futures and wasn’t hit as hard when fuel prices went up.  I still use them the most (points card, so flights are “free”), but you still need to shop around.  (Can’t beat those two checked bags though and customer service!)

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego, I will certainly let you know.  I'm not going until August 3rd and will be back on the 6th.  I was supposed to be paying extra for an aisle seat going and coming because hubby has long legs but I see that I was only charged for one accommodation.  I just hope we're not bumped.  I hate uncertainty like that.  

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie

Keeping my fingers crossed all will be OK with using "Cheap O" airline tickets.  Long time ago I used it when I was traveling for business I needed reasonable flights got American -- not only did I get bumped BUT I was on a 2 stop flight. 

I agree SW has gotten very expensive but I just flew with them to Vegas for 4 days and it was flawless.  I liked we could choose our own seats.  I will say it was expensive because we only had a few weeks to book.

Then again, Frontier (or other airlines) fly to Vegas but you pay for luggage, seats, etc. and it equals what we paid on SW.

I'm looking for airfare for Christmas and its still high even now but I'll keep looking!

We love Vegas just for the sights and hanging out!  Have fun!