Trusted Contributor

Charlotte, North Carolina area?

Hello!  My daughter is considering relocating to the Charlotte, NC area from Springfield, IL.  We have never been there and are close to planning a trip to visit the area this summer to check it out.

Is anyone familiar with the area and willing to offer suggestion, opinions, and recommendations?  Any information would be appreciated.  TIA!  😊

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: Charlotte, North Carolina area?

The traffic is just horrendous!  That's all I know about the area!

Super Contributor

@BExplorer

I live in an area (Lake) near Charlotte. While the downtown areas and traffic can become congested the outlying areas are very nice. The school districts, taxes and property are generally lower on the SC side.  There is some great dining and shopping opportunities as well as sports and music/theatre and events. It really depends on your interests but I love it. You have beaches and mountains easily accessible. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BExplorer...My in-laws are from the Carolinas and I've been to both NC & SC.  My husband was born & raised in Charleston SC and also lived in Charlotte NC many years.  I've only been to Charlotte to visit his friends but my gosh you can't meet a stranger there.  Everyone is so darn-tootin' nice...genuinely nice!  There's a lot of truth to the old saying "American by birth...Southern by the grace of God!"

P.S.  There's traffic everywhere...my philosophy is relax and enjoy the ride.

P2S2.  I'm a PROUD TEXAN, but when I retire, we are headed to SC.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Lots of new money, a bit pretentious.  Big banking city.  

Housing and taxes ^ than near by areas.

High volume of newbies.

Honestly, not my favorite city in this area.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

Thanks so much for your feedback, @Drythe @SurferWife @Coopsmommy @Pook

I really appreciate any and all information about the area!  😊

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

Been there. It's a big urban area with all the usual issues. My older son lived there years ago when he worked for Microsoft. A nephew lives there now. I have no feelings one way or another.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Been to Lake Norman, it is about 20 miles north of Charlotte, very nice area. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I HATE driving thru Charlotte!   When we were traveling more, we always made sure we went thru Charlotte before, or after rush hour traffic.  We are not used to heavy traffic like that here in WV.   

If my job was in Charlotte, I would be looking for a place outside city limits.   Matthews and Indian Trail are on US 74 out of the city, and are nice areas.   I have a cousin in a nice subdivision in Indian Trail, NC.    

I agree that the area around Lake Norman is also very nice.   

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your replies @RedTop @LIG1 @IslanderGirl62 @StylishLady

I appreciate all the feedback--good and bad!  😊