Super Contributor

Re: Can anyone recommend a clean hotel on I-75 south of Atlanta?

If you feel like driving 5 more hours until you get to Lake City, FL then there are plenty of brand new hotels...especially west of 75.  They just opened a Tru by Hilton..looks nice from the outside.  Plenty of restaurants up and down 90.

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Honored Contributor

I can't remember where it was, but La Quinta was updated and clean when we stayed there on a trip to Florida four years ago.  I will never drive through the city of Atlanta again as long as I live. We detoured an entire state to avoid it and saw some new scenery.

Honored Contributor

I can't give you specific information south of Atlanta because my husband and I usually stop north of Atlanta in Dalton...Exit 333 ...great stop...several hotels and restaurants.  We usually look for Marriotts or Holiday Inn Express.  I think the suggestion was made for McDonough...south of Atlanta...go for it....Marriotts are usually good...Fairfield less than Courtyard.  We pick a city we want to get near.  I look up city/hotels, etc and decide from there.  Read reviews or TripAdvisor.  Friends of ours have really enjoyed Drury Inns.

Valued Contributor

@gacat123 wrote:

@Marybella  

I live in Georgia and am up and down I-75 on a regular basis.  McDonough,GA is a good place to consider spending  the night South of Atlanta,   I stayed in the area when traveling South from Tennessee one dark and stormy night and I needed shelter.

You might want to check out the  *Courtyard by Marriott* in McDonough,GA. It is just off I-75  and has excellent reviews.    

Another option might be the *Fairfield Inn and Suites* by Marriott in McDonough,GA, 

again showing excellent reviews and is just off i-75.   

Both are in relatively safe areas  (safety first of course)  and near food establishments.   

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

@gacat123 Thank you, this is very helpful! It's a long trip and we like to get through the pain of Atlanta! LOL Too many cars and not enough roads! I think we stayed in McDonough several years ago. We decided to go a little further and stayed in Macon and Cordele the last few years. Not many restaurants near the places we stayed at and pizza amounted to Pizza Hut for delivery. This time, I wanted to be a little more picky about the location. Thanks!

Valued Contributor

@gailcoco wrote:

If you feel like driving 5 more hours until you get to Lake City, FL then there are plenty of brand new hotels...especially west of 75.  They just opened a Tru by Hilton..looks nice from the outside.  Plenty of restaurants up and down 90.

@gailcoco we can't get that far on our second day of traveling. It would mean 14 hours in the car. Also, we cut across on 10 over to Jacksonville and head south from there. Thanks, though!

Valued Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I can't remember where it was, but La Quinta was updated and clean when we stayed there on a trip to Florida four years ago.  I will never drive through the city of Atlanta again as long as I live. We detoured an entire state to avoid it and saw some new scenery.

@depglass I hear ya! Atlanta proper isn't so bad, but the 'burbs are crazy! I'm driving south from the U.P., so we both aren't used to that kind of traffic!

Valued Contributor

@walker wrote:

I can't give you specific information south of Atlanta because my husband and I usually stop north of Atlanta in Dalton...Exit 333 ...great stop...several hotels and restaurants.  We usually look for Marriotts or Holiday Inn Express.  I think the suggestion was made for McDonough...south of Atlanta...go for it....Marriotts are usually good...Fairfield less than Courtyard.  We pick a city we want to get near.  I look up city/hotels, etc and decide from there.  Read reviews or TripAdvisor.  Friends of ours have really enjoyed Drury Inns.

@walker We drive 9-10 hours for two days and then 5-6 hours on the third day, so I kind of try to figure what will be near the 9 hour mark on the map. Sometimes, we have to vary that plan because we are in the middle of nowhere on the map! I do read reviews, but they can be so extreme fom good to bad, so I was hoping for personal recommendations. Thanks for you reply!

Valued Contributor

@Marybella   

We like Cracker Barrel very much for lunch, supper and breakfast.  <G>

You might find a nice place to stay that is close to a CB.  

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

Honored Contributor

Marybella......I understand your travel days....we do same...one or two long days and last one shorter going to FL.  When we have stopped in Dalton, GA,  we do get up real early to be on road by 6AM to try and get through ...or around Atlanta....I do not like traveling through that city either.  The stop in Dalton has a restaurant within walking distance of hotels (Chilis?)  and one right across road (Red Lobster?).  After a long day on road, who wants to get back in car and look for a restaurant?!  When we used to travel with our dog, there is a Quality Inn at this exit that allows pets....not bad.  Then I would walk to restaurant and get a carry-out for room.   

By the way, best time to get through Atlanta is early Saturday or Sunday if that fits your schedule.....true of any big cities, I guess.  

Valued Contributor

@walker wrote:@

Marybella......I understand your travel days....we do same...one or two long days and last one shorter going to FL.  When we have stopped in Dalton, GA,  we do get up real early to be on road by 6AM to try and get through ...or around Atlanta....I do not like traveling through that city either.  The stop in Dalton has a restaurant within walking distance of hotels (Chilis?)  and one right across road (Red Lobster?).  After a long day on road, who wants to get back in car and look for a restaurant?!  When we used to travel with our dog, there is a Quality Inn at this exit that allows pets....not bad.  Then I would walk to restaurant and get a carry-out for room.   

By the way, best time to get through Atlanta is early Saturday or Sunday if that fits your schedule.....true of any big cities, I guess.  

@walker the day of the week that we drive through Atlanta is always the day before March 1 and this year it falls on a Friday. It will be a zoo, for sure. We usually drive I-75 through the city as the traffic moves pretty fast unless there is a fender-bender or some other delay. I have heard that the by-pass is even worse, so we have never taken it. We try to go through around 3 p.m., but sometimes that doesn't work and it's later.  I ended up making a reservation in Macon, so I have one, but can cancel if I find something I like better. We prefer not having to start out our day driving through the city, so we tough it out in the afternoon. Thanks for mentioning Dalton!