Esteemed Contributor

Do I need a camera or will my iPhone do on my vacation? Do folks even use cameras on vacations anymore? I still remember having film and getting pictures printed at a camera store! 😂😂❤️

Respected Contributor

@godi  I am going on a cruise next week and will take my cell phone.  My little old camera can not take the wonderful pictures that my cell phone does.  I got the TracFone QVC recently had as a TSV.

Esteemed Contributor

Smartphone will work but I'm buying a point and shoot with wi fi so I can pics  from my camera to Facebook, etc.

Honored Contributor

@godi  I think convenience answers this question.  International traveling....towing all the camera equipment is a challenge.  A local/short trip is better suited for my camera instead of relying on the iPhone.

Honored Contributor

I have a 6+ and DH has a 7+, and I have more interest in photography than he has. His shots are MUCH better than mine.

I will be getting an 8 + as soon as they hit the store. I never carry a camera any more, and I've gotten some very satisfying shots. I also plan to take a mini course at our local store as soon as one is offered.

There are also great articles posted by Apple online for photography.

I won't take a "real" camera to an event unless I have a specific reason.

Honored Contributor

I think that's like apples or oranges....If you are a serious photographer....then you know the answer already.  However, if you just want some memories, I'd just take my IPHONE.

It gets really cumbersome carrying a camera everywhere.  Also, if you have something to carry it in, etc.  You will always be getting checked because people will worry what's in the camera bag.

It's easy to whip out the phone and snap a few pictures, as long as you download them and share.  Most people just keep them on the phones or store them in the 'cloud' and that's it.

My oldest daughter stores them and then close to the end of the year she sends the pictures off and has a hard cover book of pictures printed of every year.  It's amazing because she has 4 children and I mean to tell you they do things and travel with them.

She has books made for me for Mother's Day and my birthday.  They are beautiful.  She said Snap Chat and other places during Christmas offer wonderful discounts to make the books.

My youngest daughter downloads her pictures and sends everyone calendars with the special dates printed out.  She lives in Colorado and the pictures are amazing.

They both mostly use their Iphones but the oldest daughter does take her camera with her when she goes to Europe.

I think Iphones take really good pictures these days.  I also think though it isn't as easy to just point and shoot...if you want a good picture.

Esteemed Contributor
Interesting timing - I just preordered the iPhone 8 Plus today because its camera wasn't that different than the X. I definitely take the majority of my photos via my phone. That being said...

1) I also purchased a point and shoot that was better than my old phone. It had wifi so I was able to easily transfer to my phone. An additional benefit was that the camera cost less (like $150 or less) than my phone. Wouldn't hurt as much to lose the camera! Plus, need to worry about battery life on the phone.

2) if I'm going someplace ah-may-zing, I will pack the bigger camera. This too needs an update, but honestly, nothing happens to the photos after I take them!! I'm in awe of some photos taken with $1,000+ cameras and want to take some too (and my camera does come in handy with a bigger zoom.). But really a waste as nobody will see. Unless I start a blog...ok, that won't happen either!

Long story short...if you plan on doing something special with the photos, bring the DSR. But, most phones (and I don't know your model) will likely work as well for a normal person's purpose. Be sure to bring a back up battery (like what Q sells) or it may even be possible that you could charge your phone on the tour bus.
Honored Contributor

I have an iPhone 7 and find it does a very good job. On my recent trip this past summer, I  started out using my Panasonic Lumix camera and then would switch to the iPhone, just to compare the two photos. The camera is not an expensive one where you interchange lenses, but is a quality one I have used on many trips.

I found that the Panasonic did a better job inside buildings and the iPhone did a better job outside. So I would alternate depending upon where I was.

Then about halfway thru the trip I decided to just go with the iPhone for convenience, splitting the difference between which one has the better quality (inside or outside). I see many people with their mini iPads, using that for their picture taking. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Camera or iphone ?

[ Edited ]

I've sold on eBay since 2003 and have gone through many camaras but I have to say that the camara I have now on my iPhone 6 Plus is outstanding!  And I'm looking forward to upgrading.  However, if you do sell and need to take macro shots of hallmarks, etc... you can buy an attachment that is just wonderful, very clear and very up close and I can't remember the name but it's about a $100 attachment and worth it!

I've also found that my phone takes great vacation pictures.  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

On my recent trip, I used my Canon SX60.  I prefer using a camera than a phone because of picture quality and zoom.  I will say that on the last day or two I did use my phone for some pictures out of laziness and being tired of having a camera around my neck all the time.  For the most part, I will always use and prefer my camera over my phone but thats me.  I saw a lot of people on the trip using their phone.