Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to all of you for you answers. I was worried about battery life on my iPhone and goodness if I drop it and break it! (I am a klutz 😂) And to those who taught me cameras have wifi WHAT???!!! How cool is that? My DH is going to go get a point and shoot with wifi and we will use it sometimes and the iPhone sometimes. Thanks again to you for taking the time to give me such great advice. Happy travels. 

Honored Contributor

You can post photos from you Iphone to Facebook

@patbz wrote:

Smartphone will work but I'm buying a point and shoot with wi fi so I can pics  from my camera to Facebook, etc.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Not in any way trying to unduly influence anyone but before you decide, if you love photography as I do, take a look at the photography apps available in the App Store.

I LOVED big digital SLRs until I started to learn what a good phone/camera could do.

I use my phone for almost everything but making phone calls!

Respected Contributor

@godi  Re dropping your iPhone, I can relate to that.  I just ordered a cell phone case from Amazon to be able to get a better grip on mine.  Can highly recommend it.  On top of being able to holding it much more securely, it's also easier to push the buttons.

Just type in "cell phone case for your phone's brand and model number".  I received mine yesterday and the difference is amazing.  You can even choose different colors.

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000231 EndHTML:000031235 StartFragment:000030596 EndFragment:000031109 StartSelection:000030596 EndSelection:000031109 SourceURL:https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/order-history/ref=nav_nav_orders_first Your Orders

Honored Contributor

I use both.   

Respected Contributor

As the person who dropped her camera in the loo the first day of a Scottish tour, I say take both. Luckily we had a second camera and my husband's phone.

Esteemed Contributor

@stilloxox:  I am aware that you can send photos from Smartphone but.there are some things a decent camera can do better (and IMHO faster).

Trusted Contributor

@godi I think it depends on where you're going and what you plan on doing with the pictures. When I went to Italy, I carried my Canon SL1 (a smaller DSLR) and my iPhone 7. The DSLR was great inside museums and has a better zoom. It takes really great pictures in darker settings. I took the majority of pictures on that camera and used my iPhone for quick pictures that I could post to IG throughout the trip. It's nice to have a few pictures on the phone to show to people. Because I plan on printing my pictures and putting them in the scrapbook (Project Life), I wanted to take the majority of pictures using the DSLR.

However, when I go places I think I'll return to, I'll use my iPhone for convenience. I know, that makes no sense, but it's so much easier to carry. Smiley Happy

I bought a cross-body Travelon bag that fit the DSLR and everything else I needed for the day trips. It worked great, and I wasn't carrying a camera bag to alert everyone that I had a DSLR. Smiley Happy