Honored Contributor

I have a friend who visited several years ago when it was more difficult and she loved it.  Have a great trip!

Valued Contributor

If you enjoy observing people in proverty living in the 19th century, than have fun.  I went and it was the worst mistake in my life.  Not a good idea for a vacation if one wants to have fun and be cheerful, could not be more depressing.  I am not alone many of my friends and acquaintanes went and sorry they did.  It was a mistake and I hate giving my hard earned money to that dictator's country, where people don't have enough money for medicine, food, and other things necessary for daily living

Esteemed Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Thank you everyone for your good wishes. I'm going with a group from Road Scholar. I've just come back from New Orleans with them and they are wonderful coordinators of the trips. Every detail was thought of and dealt with. I recommend them very highly. We used to travel on our own, but found that we spend so much time planning, adjusting and getting around on our own, that we missed a lot of what was just there. This way all the details are taken care of and we can simply immerse ourselves in the culture and scenery. 

LOL - I've spent too much time on Cruise Critic and, with the excitement over there due to the ships being able to dock now, I never considered you weren't doing the same thing!! Ha ha! But your trip is so much more exciting than a day port, like mine.  Would have liked to do that (or similar), but this was the most economic for me (cost and time-wise). Don't think I'm adventurous enough to fly on my own there, and tours are expensive for solo travelers.  Maybe they will come down in the future.

I've heard good things about Roads Scholars.  Pauline Frommer recommends them.

Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Thank you everyone for your good wishes. I'm going with a group from Road Scholar. I've just come back from New Orleans with them and they are wonderful coordinators of the trips. Every detail was thought of and dealt with. I recommend them very highly. We used to travel on our own, but found that we spend so much time planning, adjusting and getting around on our own, that we missed a lot of what was just there. This way all the details are taken care of and we can simply immerse ourselves in the culture and scenery. 

LOL - I've spent too much time on Cruise Critic and, with the excitement over there due to the ships being able to dock now, I never considered you weren't doing the same thing!! Ha ha! But your trip is so much more exciting than a day port, like mine.  Would have liked to do that (or similar), but this was the most economic for me (cost and time-wise). Don't think I'm adventurous enough to fly on my own there, and tours are expensive for solo travelers.  Maybe they will come down in the future.

I've heard good things about Roads Scholars.  Pauline Frommer recommends them.

@Alter Ego, It is a cruise. We go out of Jamaica and then cruise to 4-5 different ports in Cuba on a smaller ship.. I have a cousin who went on a yoga excursion there last year and totally loved it as has just about everyone I know who has been there. I was thinking of The RCCL cruise but I've been to Key West and Cozumel many times and was looking for something different. I'm sure you will have a fabulous time.

@tropics21Learning about different peoples and ways of life is something I find fascinating and enriching . I realize how blessed I am to be able to go and learn and would never belittle other countries and their people because they are different. Different is different, not better or worse. Education can never be depressing but only uplifting. We all make our own choices and I choose to look and treat others with kindness and not judge them. Anger and hate only eats away at our own spirit and impacts nobody but ourself.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Super Contributor

@tropics21 wrote:

If you enjoy observing people in proverty living in the 19th century, than have fun.  I went and it was the worst mistake in my life.  Not a good idea for a vacation if one wants to have fun and be cheerful, could not be more depressing.  I am not alone many of my friends and acquaintanes went and sorry they did.  It was a mistake and I hate giving my hard earned money to that dictator's country, where people don't have enough money for medicine, food, and other things necessary for daily living

I don't necessarily tavel to have a fun and cheerful time.  If I do want a relaxing vacation, then, of course, I would go to an island somewhere and do nothing but read a book and soak up the sun.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  I've enjoyed those kinds of vacations myself.

But to me, there is a difference between "going on vacation" and "traveling"  I travel to see the world and experience different cultures.  It's not always pleasant, but that is the reality of life.  I try to remember that, through our travel dollars, we have hopefully raised the standard of living, at least a bit, of those who clean the hotel rooms and serve the food. When we visited South Africa, I remember one of the workers at the place we were staying stressed how grateful the employees were to have work.

I understand that not everyone is comfortable witnessing poverty and it is certainly sobering.  Actually, no one should be comfortable wtnessing poverty.  It is a terrible thing. But I think sometimes it is importable to get out of our comfort zone and see the world as it really is.  I'm reminded of a conversation I had years ago with a coworker.  I had just visited Germany and he asked me what I had seen.  I mentioned that one place we visited was Dachau.  He was absolutely appalled.  He could not believe that anyone would go to a concentration camp on vacation.  I told him that I couldn't believe that anyne wouldn't go when they happened to be in the vicinity.  Different strokes, I guess.

Esteemed Contributor

@reiki604 have a grand time in Cuba!

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Many years ago my hubby's uncle traveled to Cuba (among other places) while in the service - he said they had the most beautiful beaches.

Esteemed Contributor

@tropics21 wrote:

Sorry you were not  aware of this being a cultural trip in advance. 

Esteemed Contributor

@tropics21 wrote:

@tropics21 such an odd comment.  The very same things you complain about can be found within our borders as well.  The people have what they have.....

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

Have a wonderful time on your cruise to Cuba. I have wanted to travel there for many, many years. But because of my husband's job, that is one of the countries we can not travel to.  I want to go there just to see the cars they drive around town in! Take lots of pictures! Enjoy!