Honored Contributor

This is very timely. My DH and I just bought a camper.  We are going to pick it up tomorow. 

Our first foray into camping was with a truck camper.  After our last trip I told him that was just too small and I thought we needed to upgrade.  We've been looking for several months and it wasn't as easy as we thought.  Most of the dealerships in our area have very low stock because stuff is selling so quickly and newer used campers are more than brand new!  We wanted something we can tow as right now we have no interest in leaving our camper on a lot somewhere and going to the same place every weekend.

Because it's just DH and me, plus our dog, we didn't need a ton of sleeping and had no desire to get bunk beds.  We have 1 bedroom that has a queen size bed and then the couch pulls out into a double bed.  Our bathroom has the corner shower that is rounded with the magnetic doors.

It has a "living room" with a tv and a fireplace, couch, 2 chairs that they refer to as being theatre seating.  The kitchen has a free standing table with 4 chairs (we didn't want a booth), an island, stove with oven, microwave and a regular residential fridge which was another must for us.  We didn't want a "camper" fridge.   The island has a stainless sink.  The unit also has the outside cooking area with a small fridge and gas grill.  We didn't really want that but it came with the other upgrades we wanted.  Then there is an awning. 

Unfortunately our schedule is busy this weekend so we are picking it up and parking it, we can't even use it. 

OUr truck camper was super small and we could only be gone for 2 days because we had no space for food for more than that.  So this will be interesting.  We have relatives who camp a lot and they leave their's stocked with stuff during camping season so they aren't always loading and unloading the camper before and after every trip.                

Valued Contributor

@spud188 

Thank you for sharing some great suggestions!  

DH mentioned a small ice maker we may be interested in down the road, <G>   

Right now I am trying to use what we have and not overspend which is easy to do. Campers INN even sent us home with a huge wish book catalog.   ??

For example, I would like a set of Corelle dishes in red trim I saw at Walmart but for now I have some old white plates that will work just fine and we can also use disposable stuff.  

We have 2 good  *umbrella* style foldiup chairs  that will be fine for sitting out.   

We have a great smaller YETI/35  we love and ice bottles in the freezer for that. The YETI can also act as a table between the chairs perhaps? I would not want to leave it out overnight and will lock it up in the truck bed. 

We were told to roll up the awning at any sign of rainy weather and to TIP the edge to get any water off.  Do some folks leave the awning out during rain?  I do know WIND can tear up an awning and it is best to roll it up during windy days. 

Keep passing along more great ideas!   

CAT  in SW GA 

Honored Contributor

You might want to consider an indoor/outdoor rug for your sitting area outside.... something like astroturf maybe.  It make the sitting area more pleasant and everybody has one.  Also consider some of that rubber "netting" Rubbermaid stuff that comes on a roll and you cut to size. It's great for keep canned goods, plates and pots under control when traveling.  Do not leave detergent or anything on the counters when traveling or you'll have a big mess. Lay things on their sides in the sink.  Squash the TP roll to keep it from unrolling. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624  

Thanks for sharing some excellent suggestions.  <G>

I use the rubbermaid  net  style liners in my home  cabinets and drawers.  good item! 

Stuff needs to be low and stowed/secured  when the camper is on the move. I Get This...  

We have a new RED!  Keurig K Compact Coffee Maker which looks cute when out but we have to figure out where /how to  stow this item for on the move  travel?  It will be the first thing out and last to put away (we do like our coffee)  

I am very familiar with check lists...I grew up in the Air Force,  AF invented the check list. 

Keep Calm and Camper Travel On, 

CAT

Honored Contributor

@gacat123  You're going to have a blast.  My parents said the first time they went out, it took them 1 1/2 hrs to level, later they could do it in 5 minutes.  That's what you need to practice. 

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 

Very First Camper Travel Saturday Overnight Trip Report and LISTS!    

Gulf Stream Vintage Woody 19FT camper trailer is quite cozy with bed at front  end near the doorway and the shorwer/toilet/sink  area across the back.  RED! Trim.  <G> 

Made the Queen size bed up on Friday afternoon. This bed has actual walk around space which is helpful. Have some pillows in the camper but brought our home  pillows too.  

Loaded up Saturday morning, left after lunch for campsite about 40minutes away.  

I started THE LIST on Friday with a Simple Meal Menu:

Saturday Supper:   Hot Dogs /Buns , ColeSlaw (made at the house) Fresh Corn, Chips  

Sunday Brunch:  Eggs, Sausage patties,  Bacon, Bread/Toast.

Lunch:    Grill Cheese Sandwiches if needed  (not)  

Cold Items packed into a YETI 35 cooler with ice bottles at bottom and top and thick towel over all.   

Food Items:   Corn ( should have shucked and cleaned at house)  Butter, Coffee Pods for the very cute  Red Compact Keurig in the camper. 1/2&1/2  Honey  HighBall Yeti Cups. 

3 HotDogs ( I eat one, DH has two)  along with food listed above plus Wine&Beer. Salt, Pepper and salt and spice grinder blend.  Good we had the cole slaw that has some mustard in it because we forgot our  CONDIMENTS!! ?? oops,   Slaw Dogs were great!  

Other Stuff:  Pillows, Older but Good Towels, Meds,Toiletries, Hand Sanitizer, BUG SPRAY, 

Dish Liquid, Dish Cloth,Micro Fiber Cloths 2  Scrubby Pad, Chinette Platters x6 w eating utensils. Trash Bags, Iron Skillet with utensils and tongs,  Small Scan Pan for eggs ,  Tall Small Stainless pot for cooking the corn.  2 lanterns with new batteries,  Folding Garden bench to put between the folding umbrella style camp chairs to use as a little table.  BOX FAN and Extension Cord to put in front of the chairs set up outside under the awning.   AHhhh....    Fan helped with heat and bugs.  Bug Spray came in handy too.   Camper does have a wonderful AC thank goodness.   (hot and humid in SW GA) 

plastic white plate bowls for snacks and chips. Small Red Portable radio w Batteries. Camper has inside/outside radio but I prefer smaller portable at chair side , we found the BRAVES Baseball Game!   *Duct Tape  *Rubber Gloves  (for sewer hookup/unhook procedures)  Utility Scissors, Work Gloves

We had FULL Hookup and a Pull Thru camp site which means we did not have to back in. Water, Electricity  included.  NO WIFI but they have WiFi in clubhouse. Cell phones worked fine for google searches.  I brought along a few color books and pencils. We limited screen time on purpose.  Relaxing evening/night after simple supper cooked on the stove and cleanup. The camp newsletter had a good wordsearch puzzle and they gave us an old fashioned fan on a little stick handle  which was a good thing. <G>

I also made a list of what we forgot or want to get for next trip as someone suggested here. 

WishList:  

*CONDIMENTS!  Vegetable Oil   * Picnic Table and Bench Covers *Patio Indoor/Outdoor Rug  *HubCap Puller Tool for DH  *Medium trashcans for under sink in Kitchen and Bathroom.  *Outside trashcan with animal proof latch? We kept trash in a bag under the sink this trip and then dropped into camp dumpster as we left.  * Long Matches for the gas oven *Pizza Stone for bottom of the oven 

Toilet Paper Holder of some sort, hang on inside of cabinet under the sink perhaps? Space is limited for a standing TP holder.   HandSoap Dispenser for bathroom sink 

Used large light grocery style bags for clothes, stored in cabinet next to the bathroom sink. 

Good Trip, we learned a few things and got the camper backed into our driveway! YAY! 

Suggestions? Comments?      

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

Valued Contributor

@spud188 

The Eclipse Adventure sounds wonderful!  Please post notes when you can. 

We just got in today/Sunday 20th  after our first camper trip, I posted details and my lists here. 

Good Trip overall, still learning how to back the 19ft camper into the driveway. Today it only took us 20minutes!   I am the official spotter.  I get to YELL a lot or hold up my hand STOP!  or say  C'MON BACK , C'MON BACK....   I stand where DH can see me in his mirrors  <G>  

GLAM Item for us may soon  be a back up camera for the back of the Camper. ?? DH has a backup camera for his truck he likes. We are researching back up cameras for the camper. 

My 28yo Son is in charge of a BSA  Boy Scout  ECLIPSE Camp this weekend/Monday in Nashville, TN area. He is expecting about 3000 Scouts and Families to attend.  (CHAOS) 

He has been working on the little project for a few months and hopes all goes well.   

CAT

Valued Contributor

And another thing... 

I placed a good scrubby style  black * Wipe Your Feet Mat*  at the base of the camper steps and another foot mat (BAMA ROLL TIDE in CRIMSON RED)  just inside the doorway.  These two items kept a lot of grass and dirt out of the camper.  And... I did have dust pan and short handle broom under the Kitchen sink along with a new roll of PAPER TOWELS.   

CAT

Honored Contributor

@gacat123  Sounds like you've got things under control.  I looked up your trailer and it's real cute.  It's especially nice the way you can walk around the bed.  Some of the campers require that you fold up like a pretzel to make the bed.  

Camping is so popular in the Southwest because the mountains are close and it's always cool at the higher altitudes.  There are campgrounds in Colorado where you see a sea of Texas license plates and most of those people spend the whole summer there.   Mom always said, "if Texas is so great, how come they leave it for half the year?" 

A ground cover outside helps keep the dirt and dried grass out.  We always had lots of hooks everywhere they could be placed.  They were great for hanging jackets, hats, and anything on a strap.   Does your bed lift up?  Great storage space beneath.  Make it clear to DH that sewer pipe hookup and anything having to do with it is MEN'S WORK. 

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624  

OH! I know about  *MEN'S WORK*  and that sewer hook up business had MW all over it!   

I give him credit for having serious rubber gloves for this chore, he said it was not messy.  

I realize some *girl campers* handle this sewer situation with quiet grace and dignity.  

Years ago, DH purchased a new riding John Deere Lawnmower he was quite proud of... and asked me it I wanted to learn how to start up this lawnmower?  I asked him, now WHY? would I want to do that?  <G>   He does  the yardwork, I enjoy my  gardening. 

I keep the kittly litter box very clean twice a day and work on laundry  and kitchen stuff most days and do not ask for any help with these unpleasant chores from DH.    

The camper bed does lift  UP  with storage underneath.  YAY!  Thanks for the HOOKS suggestion.I am already trying to figure out how to hang a roll of TP inside the cabinet door beneath the bathroom sink. This trip had it sitting on edge of sink counter.  I DO like the shower/toilet/sink area at the opposite end of the camper away from the bed. (i like privacy) The shower has a real sky light and little niche foot prop a lady to shave a leg or two. This unit has a tempered glass frosty door with a travel lock/latch.  Vent/Fan is a good thing...     

DH has a few LEVEL Tubes he uses to help with the level the camper business. He has this multi level PAD thing he rolls the wheel up on  one side or the other as required.  I am the official SPOTTER and holler STOP when the tire is lined up on the level pad thing. 

He is like a kid with a new toy to be honest.  We have a shady campsite nearby we may go stay a night or two in September or October.   

CAT