Respected Contributor

I am interested in taking bus tours to the nationl parks and cross country. I know about Tauck, Colette and Road Scholar but were wondering if there were any that originated In the tristate NY area. There was 1 called SeniorTours that had really great trips but they just sold the company and the new one does not have what I was interested in, only local trips up and down the east coast. Any suggestions? Ideally I could drive to the pick up points and avoid flying. Flying has become such a hassle although I'll do it if I have to.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

This doesn't answer your question but I could not imagine doing a bus tour from the East Coast to any of the major national parks or cross country.  I would much prefer taking a flight to Las Vegas or Denver and starting a parks tour from there.  There's not much to see national park wise between NY and South Dakota and that would take a couple of days to get to.  No way for me!

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

This doesn't answer your question but I could not imagine doing a bus tour from the East Coast to any of the major national parks or cross country.  I would much prefer taking a flight to Las Vegas or Denver and starting a parks tour from there.  There's not much to see national park wise between NY and South Dakota and that would take a couple of days to get to.  No way for me!

Thank you for your opinion. I choose to see the majesty of all of  this country and what it has to offer, not just the tourist spots. Different strokes.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@reiki604  I know this doesn't address your question, but just to add...  we've taken 3 Tauck trips in the past 3 years and they've been amazing.  The Tauck National Parks trips were raved about (along with several others), by our fellow travelers who have done it.  I agree that flying is a hassle,  but the trip at the end would probably make it worth while and you'd be fresh and ready to go.  Good luck finding what you want.  Enjoy your trip,  whatever you choose.

Esteemed Contributor

I think some people on this board have taken bus trips using Caravan, but I couldn’t find anything coast to coast. In fact, the only trip I found was on G Adventures and it was for ages 18-30!

If you can’t find a bus tour, maybe a train trip? Someone recently posted about their recent train trip. Maybe take to a city where it would be easier to get a national park bus tour.  

Sorry not more helpful.

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

Thank you for your opinion. I choose to see the majesty of all of  this country and what it has to offer, not just the tourist spots. Different strokes.

I understand what you're saying but DH and I have done 3 cross country driving trips and there are long stretches of "nothing."  All of America is not that scenic.  However, as another poster mentioned, I would look into Amtrak.  I think they offer vacation packages and a train is MUCH MORE comfortable than a bus.  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

We did a bus tour through Caravan Tours last year (Grand Canyon, Sedona, Lake Powell, Bryce and Zion).  But we did have to fly into Phoenix and at the end out of Las Vegas.  This fall we are doing another Caravan Tour of Mount Rushmore, Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. Again we have to fly into South Dakota and out of Salt Lake City.  

Respected Contributor

some years ago we took a bus tour with Go-Ahead. Flew to Albuquerque then the bus took us to Santa Fe where the national parks tour started. We ended up at Yellowstone and at the end flew out of Jackson Hole.