Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Bozeman, Montana

[ Edited ]

Would November be a good time to visit?  Just wondering what kind of weather to expect if we  decide to go.  Obviously, I know nothing about Montana. 

Honored Contributor

We lived in ND for a number of years. But.....I think if you Google Montana, they will break down the weather by months, so you might get some idea. 

Contributor

Bozeman is a beautiful place to visit, but not in November.

You are taking your chances during that month. It starts getting

cold, windy, and possibly snow.

My favorite month there is early to mid October.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal  Thank you.  I will do that, of course, but was hoping for some first hand information. I think we would be doing a lot of driving around, and the weather can affect road conditions as well. Being from the South, with rather consistent heat or rain, anything beyond that can be off putting for us. Smiley Very Happy  

Respected Contributor

@barbie mae  Thank you so much.  I was kind of thinking that might be the case, but not being a seasoned traveler, it's one thing to google the weather, it's another to have first hand knowledge from someone who is.  

We will probably rethink our travel dates.   

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama.  Google a map of the US and note Montana's location.  Common sense ought to tell you all you need to know.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

NO!!!!!   i have lived on Flathead Lake outside of Polson, MT for the last 20 years. My sister lives outside of Missoula, MT.  In the summer this is an hour and half travel time.  We can never make plans for Thanksgiving  or Christmas.  It is always a day to day basis and then you are lucky.  Road conditions are normally good, we are prepared for snow and bad weather. But you have to remember weather can change in a minute. My husband and I were caught in a blizzard with no warning in December one year, and I never prayed so hard in my life, we knew the highway, knew there was a bridge but didn't know where in was, could not see it, you can't pull over because the cars behind you can not see you either.

Then there is the black ice, when weather turns extremely cold at night. Most years snow falls around Halloween. There is a reason we have so many snow birds in Montana. Alot of people leave Montana in October to live elsewhere in the winter.  Oh, Montana is very rural, make sure you are prepared. You need blankets, water, cell phone charged, coats, snow boots, etc.  Montana is one of the most beautiful places in the United States.  If possible come to Montana when the lakes, rivers, and creeks are not frozen over, when the grass, wheat fields are green, when the geese, eagles, deer, buffalo, fox, bears, etc are out in nature. That is when Montana is the most BEAUTIFUL. Montana is an experience you will never forget. That is why my mother, sister, husband and I moved here 20 years ago. 

Respected Contributor

@tried it all  Thank you so much for your first hand information. It's good to have someone who knows give you advice on travel. I prefer experience over google any day.  I appreciate you taking the time to give me good advice. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Bozeman, Montana

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624   You get your travel information from google all you want.  I prefer to get mine from real people who have experience with the area I want to visit. 

But.....thanks so much for jumping in with your usual pleasant response.   Thing is, I needed information from someone who had traveled to Bozeman, or who lived there as I mentioned in my earlier posts.     

Trusted Contributor

I grew up in Butte. Traveling anywhere in Montana during November can be tricky. There’s a very good chance you will encounter cold, snow and wind.