Trusted Contributor

Booking Hotel in London from US - First Time

Hello QVC Travelers - This might seem like a silly question, but I am doing my first transatlantic cruise in May 2018.  I need to book a hotel at the end of the cruise just for one night.  I have never booked a hotel outside of the USA, so are their any unknown things I should "ask for", request or expect.

For example, the currency exchange, is their a special method you use to reserve your hotel rooms, is online better, phone calls better, any tips or suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.  I know many of you are seasoned travelers.  I plan to stay at a hotel by heathrow with the "thinking" that in the morning we will have less transportation issues.  Our flight leave at 1:00 pm so I know we need to get to to the airport by no later than what - 9:00 am. 

All commentary will be greatly appreciated. 

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Booking Hotel in London from US - First Time

@Happiness Is Inside JOB

I've booked hotels overseas many times.  Generally I use one of the travel sites to peruse hotels and prices.  Then, I go directly to the hotel website, check their price (which has never been more than travel site) and book.  They ask what currency you want to be charged in.

Honored Contributor

I prefer booking directly with the hotel.  They will ask you when you book with your credit card what currency you want to use.  If you say pounds then your card will convert.  Check with your credit card about foreign exchange fees, I don't get charged those on the card I use for travel.  Also, I don't think you need to get to the airport at 9:00am which is 4 hours ahead of your flight.  3 hours is plenty of time.

Enjoy your trip!

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much, I am very appreciative. First step then is I need to call my credit card company to see where I stand on the currency fees.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

SEveral US hotel chains have a Heathrow location.  I know for sure Marriott does.  If using a US chain you can book on line at the Web page.  THey will charge your credit card in the local currency.  IT is up to the credit card company to convert the local currency to US dollars.  GEt a card that does not charge foreign currency conversion fees.