Respected Contributor

Re: Booked my Cruise to Alaska

[ Edited ]

@KathyPet wrote:

I have another take on the trip,to Denali National Park and it is not favorable.  IT was the greatest disappointment of our Alaska trip.  YOu get loaded on to a old school,bus with wooden seats.  You then spend the next three hours being bounced around on rutted bumpy roads hoping against hope that you might actually see some wildlife.  THe only wildlife we saw was some big horn sheep that were so far away they just looked like little specks on the mountainside.  VEry disappointing.

LOL!  The same thing happened to us in the mid 1990s.  It got to be the joke of our group--A pigeon, no a squirrel.....On the train up to Fairbanks we thought we saw a Moose.  HaHa.  No wildlife aside the country was spectacular.  We did a white water rafting excursion that made up for the bumpy ride out to Denali.  Oh and did i mention that on our bumpy ride not only were there no animals but we rarely got a glimpse of the top of Denali.  But on the plane ride from Fairbanks down to Anchorage we saw Denali and the rest of the surrounding country.  I have never seen anything that spectacular!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found a (hopefully) nice surprise when I logged into NCL to check on my trip.  Originally I had booked an oceanview cabin on Deck 8 but when I checked today it seems I have been upgraded to a balcony cabin facing AFT on Deck 9.

My cruise starts this coming Saturday 9/23 and I am really looking forward to it.  When I checked the weather, it seems that the forecast is for all rain in all the places I am going to.  Hopefully this will change as we get closer.

P.S.:  I could not locate the cabin number on the ship's deck plan so I am hoping they did not assign me to a lifeboat.

Honored Contributor

Clem - have a great cruise. we went to Alaska in 2015. As everyone has said it was spectacular. And we plan on going again.

We had planned for excursions when we signed up for the cruise. And then when we got to our cabin we found we had an afternoon free. So we booked another exclusion while we were on the boat. The first place the boat took us was to Tracy Arm. What a sight  - blue ice all around us.

Have a great time. There is lots to see - so take lots of pictures.

Honored Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

I found a (hopefully) nice surprise when I logged into NCL to check on my trip.  Originally I had booked an oceanview cabin on Deck 8 but when I checked today it seems I have been upgraded to a balcony cabin facing AFT on Deck 9.

My cruise starts this coming Saturday 9/23 and I am really looking forward to it.  When I checked the weather, it seems that the forecast is for all rain in all the places I am going to.  Hopefully this will change as we get closer.

P.S.:  I could not locate the cabin number on the ship's deck plan so I am hoping they did not assign me to a lifeboat.

@CLEM LOL!!!!! Smiley LOL Made my day! You are funny. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

My cruise starts this coming Saturday 9/23 and I am really looking forward to it.  

So excited for you!!  

Maybe try try googling the name of the ship and the cabin number and something will pop up?

Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego  I was only kidding about the life boat.  But I have a detaile floorplan with all the cabin numbers in one of their catalog's and I also looked on line.  The number is not there.   I am sure it is an upgrade from what I had because why else would they change?

Anyway, I will find out on Saturday and prepare to be pleasantly surprised.

Honored Contributor

@CLEM Please be sure to post from the lifeboat and let us know how roomy it is! LOL!!

If we don't hear from you between now and Saturday, I hope you have a wonderful time and will post photos and share experiences with us upon your return, if not during your cruise. Heart

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler  From what I have heard lately, all the lifeboats are equipped with the latest communication gadgets, so I will be able to post on a regular basis.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Honored Contributor

@CLEM And no problem with having the usual small bathrooms on the ship; you will have the whole ocean! ha!