Honored Contributor

Re: Booked my Cruise to Alaska

@Annabellethecat66  On my last cruise to Alaska on Princess, I made arrangements with the cruise line to rent a scooter for the duration of the trip.  It was waiting for me when I got to the dock.  I rode all over the ship, into stores and along boardwalks in every town.  It made the trip so enjoyable. 

I had one disaster in Juneau.  We were just off the dock in an area with a lot of people milling around.  I was trying to maneuver and avoid the crowd when I went over a curb and got bucked off the scooter, landing unceremoniously on the ground.  There was a Juneau City ambulance with 2 paramedics parked not 10 ft from me.  I guess they were waiting for me.  They hopped out, got me on my feet and got the scooter upright.  I was totally uninjured but appreciated the help. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@CLEM, we just got back from our Alaska cruise and you will enjoy it immensely.  No words can really describe it.  The scenery and the people are are wonderful.

The weather should be good.  Take a raincoat as you will probably need it in Vancouver and maybe in some of the Alaskan towns.  Seattle was 86 degrees and sunny when we were there, but from looking at all the beautiful greenery, I am sure that they get as much rain as Vancouver.

We only pre-booked one excursion and that was the White Pass train.  We really enjoyed that.  We also did a whale watching excursion that included stopping at a glacier.  While we enjoyed that, I am not sure that I would do it again.  Also, just about every port has whale watching, so if you do not sign up at one and want to do it, you will have another opportunity.  I have a friend who went dog mushing and felt that was the experience of a lifetime.  Another friend enjoyed the float plane.  The excursions can really add up, so I would make sure that it is something that you really want to do.

The most important thing is to enjoy yourself.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Regular Contributor

Good for you.   We went in  late June and had a lot of drizzle, especially in Juneau.  Don't know how your dates will be, but, a rain poncho would be worth packing

Alaska is the only cruise I have ever  pre-booked excurions.  Didn't want to take the chance of not getting our choice, especially with other ships in port.   

Honored Contributor

@CLEM  I have been wanting to book an Alaskan cruise and started a thread about it.  You may find some useful info in there.  I've decided to hold off for a while before making my decision.  Enjoy your trip!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was under the impression that September was significantly colder than earlier in the season, but wanted to google before I posted and here are a few things I learned/didn't know.

Weather is unpredictable and I'm not necessarily correct; many people have reported no significant changes in weather after going multiple times (of course, layers are always recommended). Others reported fog during this timeframe and possibly being able to see leaves changing color. It is better to see wildlife in bad, drizzly weather than bright skies. Mosquitoes are also less bothersome in September versus June. Finally, a few people have reported better prices in port as you are one of the last ships (if not the last) for the season - vendors will close off season and they'll offer deep discounts.

I've never been personally. Hope you have a great trip!!

Esteemed Contributor

I have another take on the trip,to Denali National Park and it is not favorable.  IT was the greatest disappointment of our Alaska trip.  YOu get loaded on to a old school,bus with wooden seats.  You then spend the next three hours being bounced around on rutted bumpy roads hoping against hope that you might actually see some wildlife.  THe only wildlife we saw was some big horn sheep that were so far away they just looked like little specks on the mountainside.  VEry disappointing.

Honored Contributor

@CLEM

If you get a chance to take a whale watch excursion GO! Get up and go to the earliest one offered.  

I've taken two cruises to Alaska and both times those of us who went early saw whales.  Those who went later in the day did not.

Have a great time.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@CLEM, is you can, this is the cruise to book a balcony.  Even though we saw much wilfdlife as we traveled, our favorite was the two baby orcas that swam right next to the ship that we saw from our balcony.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Hi All, thanks for all the great suggestions and I will try to take as many of the excursions as I can.  I have decided not to book those yet because I want to see how the weather is from day to day.

Also, I would have liked to get a cabin with a balcony, but since I am traveling by myself, this would have been too costly.  Perhaps they will upgrade me (ha ha).  Or perhaps I decide to splurge and do it after all.

Right now I have a heck of a time booking my flights (am using frequent flyer miles and will go first class).  Will see a travel agent tomorrow to sort it all out.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

My daughter and her family are actually on their way there in a day or so.  First they stopped off in Seattle to visit friends then on to the family cruise.

She'll be gone almost 2 & 1/2 weeks.  I know quite a few people who have taken various Alaska cruises.

I like cruises but Alaska one doesn't interest me.

I cruise a lot and I thought the same as you - but everyone said I had to go due to global warming.  I've had TWO cruises to Alaska just to see Glacier Bay.  One trip was early spring the other early fall once the kids were back in school and the demographics of the ship (much older crowd between the ages of 60-80).  I'm in that range so that didn't bother me but not once but on both trips there was a medical emergency which onboard staff could not accommodate very late evening and the ship turned its engines on high to make it to the next port to get passenger to a real hospital and both times it was the early morn when we were due to hit Glacier Bay early  530am to 6am so we actually sailed by much earlier. Both medical emergencies were apparently stroke victims.  

Alaska is not one of the cheaper cruises since I'm on the east coast.  The cruiseline "tried to make up for it" both times and so after medical passengers were offloaded we left and slowed down going to the next port and they took us out whale watching.  That was great but not quite the same!  I've given up on Alaska at this point!