Honored Contributor

Re: Biltmore Estate at Christmas

Lucky you!  I've never been there but have always wanted too.  I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Have you tried checking TripAdvisor dot com?  They have information & message boards on almost every town & city in the US and across the globe!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Right on the Blue Ridge Parkway, very near the Biltmore Estate, is the Southern Highlands Crafters Guild. There are about 900 crafters represented by this enterprise. It's a fascinating place to visit with all sorts of arts and crafts and demonstrations.  I could spend hours there.

They have a nice website with directions, which you can goigle.

@Kachina624   Sounds wonderful!  I could spend many hours in a place like that too!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fingerlakesny wrote:

We are going to the Biltmore the day after Christmas.  Can anyone suggest some good restaurants.  Also, things to see in Ashville.  Thanks.

Are you going to Biltmore to see the Downton Abbey exhibit?  I may go for my birthdaySmiley Happy.  Have fun! Christmas is beautiful there. 

Super Contributor

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  We will be checking them out.  Can't wait to go.  Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@fingerlakesny wrote:

We are going to the Biltmore the day after Christmas.  Can anyone suggest some good restaurants.  Also, things to see in Ashville.  Thanks.

We would also like to go.  Not sure when.  I did hear Christmas time is really nice.  Autumn too as long as the colors are changing.  I was just on the computer today doing research as to what to do, what to see and where to stay.  I'll be following.

@ScrapHappy The other great time to come is also during the Festival Of Flowers in the spring when the tulips are up.  They festune the doorways with flowers and it's almost as big as Christmas.

See the source image

Honored Contributor

If at all possible, get a night tour and eat (and stay if you can!) the Inn. 

Occasional Contributor

Love the White Duck Taco Shop.  They have 2 locations in Asheville.  

Frequent Contributor

I went to the Biltmore House last year at Christmas.  It's just beautiful at night.  We had a wonderful meal at the restaurant next to the main house.  You need a reservation.  Then went for the night tour.  Returned the next day and walked around Antler Village.  It's a great place to go especially at Christmas or anytime.  Just beautiful!

Respected Contributor

We went to the Biltmore  at Christmas several years ago.  Our tour was on New Years Eve, the candle light tour.  It was so beautiful, and we were amazed by the house and the decorations.  But, we couldn't understand why parents took little children who had no idea what was going on and didn't care.  The poor kids were tired and, of course, cranky.  

We stayed at the Grove Park Inn which was a real treat.  If possible, try to stay there! 

Honored Contributor

We visited the Grove Park Inn while in Asheville and may be in the minority but we were not impressed. The lobby was so dark and dingy, found it very unappealing and uninviting and left.