Occasional Contributor

Just wanted to warn any prospective users of VRBO.  I booked a rental in the Florida Keys and found out in addition to a security deposit  (refundable), and the cost of the rental, VRBO charged me an ADDITIONAL  $450.00, NON-REFUNDABLE fee just for using their website to book the condo.  I am furious!   No where on the website is this explained, it is called a "deposit ".  I called the condo owner directly, and they confirmed this.  They even admitted this is a ripoff by VRBO.  I have used them in the past and have never been charged this fee.  But no more!!  This absolutely  disgusts me.  Be very careful when you book through VRBO!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Beware of VRBO!

[ Edited ]

The $450 apparently is the fee to be paid to VRBO for using their services. The security deposit is not their fee and the rent is not their fee so how else is VRBO supposed to get paid? 

We always rent the same beach house so the first year we went through VRBO and every year after that we have gone directly to the owner of the house.

Occasional Contributor

I totally understand that.  But to charge $450.00 just to use a website is a blatant ripoff.  Lesson learned - always deal directly with the owner!!

Respected Contributor

I have never used VRBObut are you sure this fee wasn't hidden the terms of use?  If the fee was never mentioned you can dispute the charge thru your credit card.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

VRBO has been charging this fee for about 4 years.  When we first encountered it, we were able to go to the home owner and rent direct.

But since then we have changed rental houses and the home we now rent that has the location, number of bedrooms and bathrooms, etc. that we need has to be rented through VRBO.  VRBO used to always list the owner's infomation so you could contact them.  Now they do not do that all the time so it can be difficult to contact the owner directly.  

In our case although I do not like paying the fee, our rental cost is so much that the VRBO fee is not that big of a percentage of the final total.  

The amount of the VRBO Service fee is listed when you fill out the request for rental info on their sites.  You go to the Total Rental cost and there is a place to click under the total that says "View Details".  There it lists the rental cost for the home, the cleaning fee, VRBO Service fee, taxes and damage deposit amounts.  So as awful as the fee can be, renters should be aware of the cost before they go through with the rental.  

Respected Contributor

I posted about the fee a few months ago......it really raises the prices on the homes.  But, I found that once the owner starts emailing with you, most of them will rent to you directly without going through VRBO.

They usually give you their phone number.  They get around the VRBO limitations by sending it like this....1*2*3-4*5*6-7*8*9*0

As long as they have lots of good reviews on VRBO I have rented this way and been happy.

Most owners will rather their home be rented at a lower amount than to sit idle.

Frequent Contributor

Dealing with the owner is not always the best way either, we booked a unit in Sanibel after speaking with the owner, and the island got evacuated after we were there for 2 days we even got the insurance, well before we left the island the owner called us and asked us to bring in all her outside furniture mind you she had 3 decks well of course we did without hesitation, after the storm we contacted her about a partial refund we had paid $3000.00 and she very rudely told us no and the insurance did not cover hurricanes.Lesson learned

Respected Contributor

@sherylsiu wrote:

Dealing with the owner is not always the best way either, we booked a unit in Sanibel after speaking with the owner, and the island got evacuated after we were there for 2 days we even got the insurance, well before we left the island the owner called us and asked us to bring in all her outside furniture mind you she had 3 decks well of course we did without hesitation, after the storm we contacted her about a partial refund we had paid $3000.00 and she very rudely told us no and the insurance did not cover hurricanes.Lesson learned

Florida is where we rent beach houses and we always get the insurance and that’s the reason they have it!!  It is for hurricanes, in fact that’s what it’s called hurricane insurance.

I’m not sure what you bought but that is the very reason people buy insurance when they are renting a beach house in Florida!

Respected Contributor

And that is why I prefer nice resort hotels!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm leaving Sunday for a week in NYC.    I booked an apt. thru VRBO.   The details showed a 'service fee' of $135.00.  I assumed that was a fee that went to VRBO and it didn't seem outrageous to me. They have to make money.   Now, if it had been $450 for a week, I would have kept looking.

From our booking details:

Service FeeThis helps Vrbo provide a safer and more secure booking experience, coupled with 24/7 customer support throughout your trip.