Esteemed Contributor

Best Time to Travel to Europe?

As many here may know, I dream of travelling to Scotland ......some day.

I am just curious, as to when is the best time to go, re: airfare?

Thanks in advance!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Best Time to Travel to Europe?

We're going to Ireland, Scotland and London for 2 weeks in September.  Our AAA travel agent recommended that time due to being off season and lower prices.  Some family members are planning to come also.  We set up our own itinerary through Avanti.  3 days in Dublin, 3 Days in Cork, 4 days in Edinburgh and 4 days In London.Many people book for the Spring and it's crowded then.

Trusted Contributor

Airfares are much lower in the Winter for most markets.  You may have some weather issues that time of year so I would sugest late Fall.  Fares are somewhat lower and tourist crowds can be lighter.

I was in Scotland last in September.  As I remember the temp was about 45 or so, with some drizzle/rain, of course.  It's a lovely country - enjoy

Respected Contributor

In 2014 we took a tour of Scotland from 9/20 to 10/3. the weather was good most days. Wewent as far north as the Orkneys and had 2 days each on the Skye and Mull. Plane fares are lower in the fall and spring. 2004 we went to England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales in April. The weather was good. London was crowded  but then it usually is. Last May we spent a week in London. I found a good price on airfare and hotel. We went in early May and I found it more crowded then.

Honored Contributor

We've been there in July and August.  Both trips were pretty chilly (50s & 60s) with very little sun. We had a day or 2 on each trip that were sunny and 70-75. 

The weather was a real shock as we started in London and it was (at the time) the warmest summer on record. Even northern England was warm and sunny but once we crossed over into Scotland, it was like a different season.

Respected Contributor

Wear layers! When we went in April of 04 it very hot in London. 2 days later by the time we reached Oxford we froze. It did warm up again but you never know what kind of weather you will get.

Honored Contributor

You'll get the best air fares and fewer tourists in winter, excluding Christmas time but you might have some weather challenges.  My husband and his dad went to Scotland about 10 years ago, they went in late October and were there for 3 weeks. They said it was cold, damp  in October,  We've been to London many times and we always go in June or July so we can get the best weather.  We're going again this July. 

Esteemed Contributor

I like early fall travel....the tourists are gone but points of interests remain open.  I don't know if airline fares are the lowest tho

Esteemed Contributor

Scotland can be quite chilly and windy. In general, I like traveling to Europe in spring, before the crowds come but when it's warm. However, in the case of Scotland, especially if you're going up north to the Highlands, the weather can be cold and damp in spring. I visited the Highlands at the end of June, years ago. It was amazing to experience the summer solstice in Inverness. The sun never really set. Just bring a few warm clothes, just In case, and a rain slicker with a hood. Scotland is so beautiful that whatever weather you experience, you will have a marvelous time.

Super Contributor

As a senior who has traveled extensively in the US and Europe, my decision to travel to a certain place depends on what I want to do and then try to match the weather to my plans.  I am an outdoor girl so trips to the Swiss Alps or the French Riveria or Yellowstone and Teton National Park are planned when I am comfortable - end of summer when tourists are reduced and the weather is likely still warm enough to photograph and see everything I want.   If your dream is going to Scotland, go at a time of year that gives you the maximum best weather for what you want to do.   Try not to let airfare drive the decision when you go.  Have fun planning your trip and enjoy every moment!