Super Contributor

Berkeley Springs, West Virginia

Has anyone ever visited Berkeley Springs, WV for a spa day or weekend? It was the first spa town in the U.S. -- I'm wondering how luxurious it is or is it very rural?

Respected Contributor

Re: Berkeley Springs, West Virginia

@DCAnnie2004 wrote:

Has anyone ever visited Berkeley Springs, WV for a spa day or weekend? It was the first spa town in the U.S. -- I'm wondering how luxurious it is or is it very rural?

I live about 2 hours from Berkeley Springs. WV is my home and always will be! We call this part of WV the "eastern panhandle" and though I've never been to Berkeley Springs, I have been to areas around there. Have you ever been here before @DCAnnie2004

Super Contributor

Hi @wvumountiefan, I've been to Shepardstown and Harper's Ferry many times. I'm looking into weekend getaway ideas -- I live in Northern Virginia. I'm interested in putting together a spa weekend.

West Virginia is indeed a beautiful state. But I know nothing about the Berkeley Springs area.

Honored Contributor

I have family in the Eastern Panhandle ... Hedgesville and Martinsburg areas.  I know I've been in Berkeley Springs a lot of times for dining / shopping ... can't recall anythiing special about it.  

Trusted Contributor

I've driven through Berkley Springs many times over many years on my trips to Pa from Northern VA.  It's a small town, along one road through the mountains.  There are some antique shops and restaurants.  I can't speak to how the spa may be.  I don't think I would choose it for a spa weekend.  Maybe check reviews on Google.

Super Contributor

I lived near Romney WVA when I was younger and that part of the state is very Pretty! I would say to go in the Fall when the leaves are in full color. My family use to drive to Winchester VA going into MD and DC area and it is very pretry drive in the fall too.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love love love West Virginia.  We live on the border near enough to visit whenever we want, mostly to dance.  I have never been to the spa.. but I have stayed in the area and find it worth the trip.  

Contributor

I've stayed there and while it's okay, and my massage was good, the hotel is old and so is the crowd.  Not trying to be mean, I'm old now too and stayed there a number of years ago.  It made me a little uncomfortable.  I haven't gone back.  The town is very small like another poster said.  A lot of small, mystical type stores.  Not my thing.  But, if you like to walk and take in the sights the mountains are beautiful.