Honored Contributor

Re: Bed and Breakfast question

@jlkz I've always loved the architecture of The Abbey!  When I was going there, it was owned by Jay and MaryAnn who were wonderful hosts!  So much fun!  But the whole town is just so lovely!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We used to stay at the Carroll Villa in Cape May.  The location is perfect and they give you a breakfast voucher to the Mad Batter for breakfast, which is their restaurant on the first floor.

The front door was unlocked all night, but the rooms all had locks on them, so we felt safe.

We no longer stay there because we have dogs, so we stay in our RV at a wonderful campground.

We stayed at a few other B&B's over the years, some give keys to the front doors and others do not.  My DH always has a gun on him, so I don't worry, but I am not a big fan of B&B's.  I prefer more privacy.

I like my RV the best with my own bed and linens.

Honored Contributor

The door should be locked. No B&B's for me. Not into sharing bathrooms and group meals.

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette 

We went one year a few days before xmas.   It was quiet, which we loved.  In fact we never went in the summer.   We took the holiday trolley that went thru various streets and saw all of the pretty lights and heard about the history of Cape May.   Most retail places were closed, which we didn't mind.  Congress Hall was decorated beautifully.   We sat on a sofa in front of the roaring fire in the Brown Room Bar and had some drinks.   There were xmas trees in every common room.   It was a great two nights.   Just beautiful and peaceful.   

Honored Contributor

I lived in northern NJ for 20 years and never went to Cape May.  Now that I'm living in Chicago, I guess I'll put it on my "bucket list" but I will not stay at a b&b.  Any hotel recommendations???

Respected Contributor

I love Cape May!!

We vacation there several times a year. I've been there in the winter, the spring, the summer and the fall. Each season is different and beautiful in its own way.

We've stayed at several B&B's. Our first stay was at the Carroll Villa. The best thing about the place was having breakfast on the front porch of their restaurant, The Mad Batter. On the second day of our stay, DH and I came back from the beach to find the door to our room wide open and two people from the inn moving OUR CLOTHES and PERSONAL ITEMS to another room. We were told that when we checked in they gave us the wrong room. I was beyond annoyed!! Never stayed there again.

Next try was the Angel of the Sea. We loved it, such a gorgeous place!!

Our third and last stay was at the Fairthorne Cottage, which was actually two buildings. This was our favorite place to stay. Shortly after we stayed there the older building we stayed in was sold and became a private house. I believe the newer building is no longer a B&B and is now a house rental.

Sadly, it seems that quite a few B&B's in Cape May have either become private homes or weekly rentals. 

If we were to go the B&B route again, I would look into staying at the Queen Victoria. I always loved the looks of all their buildings.

To anyone thinking of visiting Cape May, try going at Christmas. It's truly magical!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have stayed at several B and B, we had a favorite in Belmar NJ we stayed there several times a season and for several years, the owners sold their house and the B and B ended. This was the B and B we stayed at when hubby proposed Aug 1 1990. Sweet memories

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

@kaydee50

I love Cape May!  I used to take my nephews when they were younger as soon as school was out.  Then we would go around Victorian Week for the Halloween festivities.  I've been there during the Christmas holiday several times.

Two hotels I recommend:

La Mer - on Beach Drive.  It's gotten a little pricey so I don't stay there anymore.  They just added a new addition.

Camelot - All rooms face the ocean.  And if you are a walker, you can walk to the Washington Street Mall area.  Great bagel place for breakfast right across the street from the hotel.  Prices are reasonable and the place fills up fast.  It's my new favorite.

I will be moving to Lewes, DE, soon so I'll be 80 mins away (via ferry) versus 4 hours!Woman Happy