Respected Contributor

Re: Bed and Breakfast question

@Krimpette 

Next visit to Cape May, let me know !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

We have stayed in some gorgeous B&B’s. Like I said we double check with the private bath and never had a rickety bed.LoL.

We stayed at the Angel of the Sea in Cape May NJ one Christmas. Was beautiful.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I stayed in one in Sedona that was like that and I agree that I was uncomfortable when he told me that, luckily it was as I was checking out.

Today, people can install locks with codes and just give each customer a new code for their stay.

After my last B&B I read an article where people were killed in a B&B and teh doors were unlock and I was done with the whole B&B experience.

I'm all about 5 star hotels now.  IT's not a safety thing, it's more of a ready for a different experience thing.  I enjoyed most of the B&B's I stayed in, some were unforgettable experiences (in a good way) but some were a miss.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@Krimpette 

WE love Cape May.  We always stayed at the Queen Victoria B&B until one trip. They had a 3 night min. and we only wanted 2 so we stayed at the Congress Hall hotel.  After that, we never stayed anywhere else.   One of the few things I'll miss about living in PA... Cape May, NJ

Esteemed Contributor

@sissy01 

I own a stand-alone cottage that we use as a B&B.  It is on our property in very close proximity to the "big house."

We encourage our guests to lock their door at night as we lock ours.  

We have friends that own B&Bs that have coded keypads on the front door so guests can enter after hours.  Most would not think of leaving doors unlocked.

In this day and age, it would bother me.  However, in the past I can remember staying at places that left the main house open at night.

No thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mac116 

Your comments are the reason we decided to use our empty cottage as a B&B. 

It is a completely private home (my parents lived there at one time) and, guests don't have to share anything!

DH and I had stayed at lots of B&Bs in our younger days, and this was the thing that we finally came to dislike -- mixing with folks when we just wanted privacy.

Don't get me wrong, it was fun the first few times, then it wasn't.  DH is not a morning person and I was left to carry the conversations.  Just too much activity for me Cat LOL

Our guests come and go and visit only if they want to.  Otherwise, we see them when the check out to pay.

Honored Contributor

@jlkz   Haven't been there for several years now.  When I did go, I always stayed at The Abbey, after my very first visit to that beautiful town.  My first visit, not knowing any better we stayed at a motel near the edge of town.  We later took a walking tour of Cape May and realized what we were missing!  Great town, great arthitecture, great restaurants!  Maybe one day I'll get back there.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal I, too, love Cape May.  As I just mentioned in another post, I always stayed at The Abbey.  I always admired the Queen Victoria.  Thought if I ever went back, I'd like to stay at the Mainstay.  But not sure I'll get back there.  Would love to see it at Christmas time, however.

Honored Contributor

Cape May is on my list of places to visit.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@Krimpette 

Abbey is almost around the corner from our vacation place !!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill