Contributor

My husband and I stayed at a very highly rated bed and breakfast last year. This was our first time and what really concerned me was that the proprietor did not lock the front door at night. She said that if people came home late she did not want to be woken up if they couldn’t find their key which is why no one got keys. I was very surprised by this and frankly did not want to leave my room after it got dark. It was on a large horse farm in a secluded location. I repeat, this B and B is top rated. Those of you with experience, is this the norm?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Bed and Breakfast question

That would make me nervous.  The owner should install one of those keyless entries and give guests the code.  Better than having to have to distribute and collect keys.  I don't think in today's world regardless of where you are that anyone should sleep with unlocked doors for both safety and security reasons.  

Esteemed Contributor

I stayed at a B & B when I did a girls get-away and the front door was never locked. 

Respected Contributor

I have stayed at many BandBs, they all locked the front door. However, they were al

Honored Contributor

One of the many reasons we don't stay at B&Bs.  Give me a Hilton or Best Western anytime.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

One of the many reasons we don't stay at B&Bs.  Give me a Hilton or Best Western anytime.

me too

want cable TV and a nice bathroom

not rickety bed 

Trusted Contributor

Holiday Inn Express for us.

One of our B&B experiences, with a shared top floor bathroom (gross), had us never doing that again.

Honored Contributor

Some of my best vacation were at a B&B in Cape May, NJ.  My recollection is that they had the combo lock on the door after a certain hour.  Love B&Bs, especially the ones in Cape May!

Trusted Contributor

My husband and I have stayed at a beautiful, newly built and modern B&B on the Wisconsin/Minnesota border.  Your own bath suite was included.  The front door was locked at night, but we were asked if we might be staying out past the "lock time".  If so, we were given keys.

However, after staying there several times, we decided that we prefer to stay in a hotel because we love privacy.  I think that we got tired of "sharing our stories" with the other guests during Happy Hour and breakfast.

Honored Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

Holiday Inn Express for us.

One of our B&B experiences, with a shared top floor bathroom (gross), had us never doing that again.

@Chicagosuburbangirl.  If we stay in a B&B, we always make sure we have our own bathroom.