Honored Contributor

Re: Backpack for weekend travel

Based partly on your recommendation, I placed an order for the Mother Lode Jr.   It's just a few inches smaller than the regular Mother Lode.    It looks like it has everything I need, lots of different pockets with a main compartment for clothing.  

Good price too, $44 including tax & shipping.  I hope I get to use it soon.

@pinkmochi wrote:

@software I bought my son the Mother Lode travel backpack from eBags. It's a well-made backpack with some organization. He used it several times on trips, even checking it a couple times, with no sign of wear. I purchased more of these for us to use as Go Bags for emergencies. The site often has sales and has a sale now on select colors. This backpack would definitely hold enough for 2-3 days and leave you room for bringing things back from your trip. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@pinkmochi wrote:

@software I bought my son the Mother Lode travel backpack from eBags. It's a well-made backpack with some organization. He used it several times on trips, even checking it a couple times, with no sign of wear. I purchased more of these for us to use as Go Bags for emergencies. The site often has sales and has a sale now on select colors. This backpack would definitely hold enough for 2-3 days and leave you room for bringing things back from your trip. 

I was intrigued so I went over to eBags and took a look. That's a nice looking bag! Just one challenge though. If you're talking about the larger backpack, it's a BIG bag. So big that it exceeds the allowable size for a carry-on bag. Just by an inch, but it's still over the limit. Certainly, as a soft sided bag it can probably be smushed in the overhead, but it definitely will not fit under the seat in front of you. I like it, but it's bigger than the rollerboard that I pack for a week in. 

@FrostyBabe1  I think they make a junior size of that same bag, but I could be wrong. Woman Happy

Edited to add that my son has used it as a carry-on, but it probably depends on how strict the airline is being that day. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got a backpack from target that I put all my carry on stuff, purse stuff, meds, etc.  I am not big and wanted to fit the straps to my body so it wasn't too small nor too big. But I check a bag and always pack clothes and meds for an extra day or two. Have been caught several times due to bad weather and forced to stay an extra day. Sometimes we can wash clothes but sometimes not. Last time this happened with bad weather at home causing our flight to be cancelled, husband didn't pack extra and we had to wash his clothes. Then we had another delay in a secondary airport coming back for mid-country bad weather. Another time, we got caught in never ending rain and blew through clean dry clothes.