Honored Contributor

I have a perfectly good rolling suitcase but I'd like to try a comfortable, useful backpack.

I do not fly, so it would be used for car or train.  Not for hiking.

I don't need room for a laptop, ok if it has a sleeve for a laptop, but it's not required.

I find myself carrying a handbag, then pulling the suitcase and I'd like to simplify and keep my hands free. I travel alone about half the time

I'm in my 60s, not real strong but not handicapped in any way.

If you use a backpack as your only "suitcase" or as a carry on or secondary "suitcase" I would like to hear of your experience.   I find because I use the suitcase, I always take more than I need.   I know I could use a backpack for 2-3 days.  I've considered shoulder totes but I think a balanced backpack would be more comfortable.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Backpack for weekend travel

They absolutely work for little trips.

I think all three of mine came from LL Bean.  

A large wheeled one for bigger trips, but for sure not comfortable on your back, but can sit upright.  Won't fit under a airline seat and is not washable.

Then a big one that can do 4 days of casual wear with ease.  It will meet a lot of floors, so put in the washer.  Carry handle and one shoulder use too.  Will sit upright.

Then my fav might be a kid's size.  Works for all day at the hospital or day trips needing a packed lunch.  Washable and can slip a purse in too.

Respected Contributor

Google backpacks for travel. You can read many articles with suggestions as which might be good for you.

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

Google backpacks for travel. You can read many articles with suggestions as which might be good for you.

Thanks for your suggestion but spent the better part of yesterday doing just that.

I wanted reviews from this Forum.

Honored Contributor

For myself,  backpacks are uncomfortable when I am sitting down.  Can't sit straight or lean back comfortably.  I don't mind wheeled suitcases because I always use a crossbody pocketbook or fanny pack when traveling.

For short trips, I always use duffle bags.  I have 2, leather & nylon.  I can carry on 1 shoulder or crossbody.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I agree completely with @Mz iMac . I like a small daypack instead of a purse. But larger backpacks simply don't work for me, especially on any kind of public transportation. Give me a lightweight wheeled duffle of the size needed for the length of trip.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a TravelPro business backpack that I use for trips up to 4 days. It has a special compartment that I can slip my iPad, other electronics and cords into, and then 2 other compartments that I use for clothes and toiletries. I travel light and rarely take anything extra for "just in case" or "what if we do...". You have to be really organized and not take multiple pairs of shoes, sweaters, etc., but it works just great for me. Because it's specifically designed for business travel, it has an attached strap that I can slip over the extended handle of a rollerboard bag. It also fits under the seat in front of me on most aircraft, unless there's some sort of entertainment equipment box down there. 

Nordstrom Rack has a similar bag from TravelPro, ( SkyPro Lightweight Underseat Laptop Backpack) for just $60 right now. It's also on sale on the TravelPro website for $107, but even with shipping charges, Nordstrom Rack is considerably less expensive. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

I am one of those people who backpacked across Europe as a college student.

I say now--NEVER AGAIN.

Too heavy, too bulky, awkward to sit and carry, etc.  It is a real weight on the shoulders and neck as well.  Of course, it was a very professional heavy duty back-pack, not as light as some of the newer models, and with a solid metal frame.

I have spent the last many decades traveling using lightweight suitcases on wheels that I pull along behind me.  They are slim and can easily fit above a seat in any overhead compartment on plane, train, bus.

I see many young people carrying backpacks, so they seem to be quite popular.

But for me, I have had my fill forever!

Trusted Contributor

@software I bought my son the Mother Lode travel backpack from eBags. It's a well-made backpack with some organization. He used it several times on trips, even checking it a couple times, with no sign of wear. I purchased more of these for us to use as Go Bags for emergencies. The site often has sales and has a sale now on select colors. This backpack would definitely hold enough for 2-3 days and leave you room for bringing things back from your trip. 

Respected Contributor

@pinkmochi wrote:

@software I bought my son the Mother Lode travel backpack from eBags. It's a well-made backpack with some organization. He used it several times on trips, even checking it a couple times, with no sign of wear. I purchased more of these for us to use as Go Bags for emergencies. The site often has sales and has a sale now on select colors. This backpack would definitely hold enough for 2-3 days and leave you room for bringing things back from your trip. 

I was intrigued so I went over to eBags and took a look. That's a nice looking bag! Just one challenge though. If you're talking about the larger backpack, it's a BIG bag. So big that it exceeds the allowable size for a carry-on bag. Just by an inch, but it's still over the limit. Certainly, as a soft sided bag it can probably be smushed in the overhead, but it definitely will not fit under the seat in front of you. I like it, but it's bigger than the rollerboard that I pack for a week in. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~