Esteemed Contributor

Attention Francophiles, Québec

[ Edited ]

I went to France every year for over 20 years. A couple of years ago, my husband and I decided that we didn't want to look over our shoulders every time we entered the Metro. Instead, we went to Quebec City, where we had gone 30 years before. We just returned from our fourth visit to Québec and I love it more than ever. Especially for those in the northeast, for just a few hours in the car you can arrive at the closest place to French culture on this side of the Atlantic. The food is spectacular, the scenery is wonderful (we went on a whale watching cruise up the St Lawrence), and the American dollar goes a long way. Look into it. I'm hooked.

Honored Contributor

Re: Attention Francophiles, Québec

@Vivian

This is where our French students go in middle school for a few days each spring.Cat Happy

Trusted Contributor

I agree, it is absolutely beautiful!  I would love to go back!  😊

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

@Vivian  I went with my daughter several years ago for a quick get away weekend and I fell in love with that city!  I love all the little shops, eating outside at the restaurants on that main boulevard and the European feel of the city.  We took a cruise on the St. Lawrence, went to their science museum and walked everywhere.  I want to go back.  It is a great place to visit!  Thanks for the reminder!   

~LdyBugz

Honored Contributor

I was only there once, and it was wil I was a teenager.   My sister was a French major in college, so she wen to Laval Univerisity for some time during the summer.  My parents and I went to visit her.  In the short time we were there, we managed to get in a lot of sight-seeing.  One thing, though, that sticks in my mind.  Since may parents and I had no knowledge of French, we had a hard time when we stopped for lunch.  Unwittingly, I ended up ordering a rare (and I mean rare) roast beef sandwich. Back then, I could barely even look at rare meat, let alone eat it!!!!!!!!  

But such a beautiful city.  I felt like I was in France.

Trusted Contributor

Quebec is indeed very beautiful and wonderful place to visit.  Montreal also but larger and perhaps more of an interntional feel - although very French.

Esteemed Contributor

@aggravated wrote:

Quebec is indeed very beautiful and wonderful place to visit.  Montreal also but larger and perhaps more of an interntional feel - although very French.

I haven't been to either, but I understand Montreal especially is a hot travel destination this year.  It is their 375th (?) anniversary and there are supposed to be many celebrations this year.  Birthplace of Cirque de Soleil.

Don't quote me, but I also think Canada in general is celebrating a milestone birthday, so I'm sure most cities would be celebrating that.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm going to be there for a few days in October. Staying on a few days after a cruise. Can't wait....I've heard such wonderful things about that city.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

Quebec City is beautiful.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian

I saw a bunch of Francophile items at Anthropologie.com.  Just type Francophile into the search bar and you'll see what I'm talking about.

This guy is my favorite-Cat Very Happy

There is even a pullover-