Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone traveled plane First Class? Worth it?

I don't fly first class if I am flying domestically usually but I do like to fly first class when I fly internationally. The first time I flew to Australia I flew coach and I promised myself that I would never do that again. I have long legs and it was so uncomfortable. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

On long trips, always....long for me is over 3 hours.  I like the extra weight allowed, easy boarding, extra space, free drinks, more bathrooms and easily accessible  and it is generally more quiet.  I find Korean Air superior and try to fly it as much as possible 

Valued Contributor

I've travelled business class on Lufthansa, Air France and British Airways.  It allowed me to have a "bed" and my own little "pod" area.    It also allowed access to their private lounges at the airports, where they offer complimenary food, beverages,  (sometimes) showers and relatively nice surroundings in which to wait.  I am spoiled. I want to fly business class, if I am heading over the oceans.

In the US, I like the flying bus, Southwest.  At least I'm usually guaranteed to have a few smiles while I suffer with everyone else Smiley Happy

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Respected Contributor

My husband worked for an international hotel and was based in Barbados for many years.  He had tons of miles so when it was just me visiting him, often I bumped up to first class.  When the kids came with me, we flew coach, but back them it wasn't as crowded as it is now.

When we fly to Europe, we usually bump up, but for domestic flights we are usually in coach.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes though the cost is simply too much when flying with the family now..so we fly Economy plus on Virgin (which is similar to Business for other airlines).

We flying to the UK in a few weeks and the cost between this and First Class was a few thousand per seat. Nope, not doing it. Flying economy on the the short part of the trip. However, because I have to return earlier than planned, 2 of us are flying back to the US in the last row of the plane on both trips (long version and then the short hop from JFK to DC), however, I'm still paying for Business class. Ticks me off something bad.

Is it worth it? ANYTHING is better than cattle steerage AKA economy. I need the leg room and hate being stuffed in next to people. If I wasn't tall, I would care as much. The fact that I'll spend 8 hours in a middle seat REALLY is freaking me out but there's not a ****** thing I can do about it now. Everyone arrives at the same time, you MAY get better food, less people using the bathroom....

In the end, it depends on what is important to you and if you're willing to pay A LOT more money for it. I don't bother going anything other than the cheap seats for a short trip (3 hours or less).

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

We flying to the UK in a few weeks and the cost between this and First Class was a few thousand per seat. Nope, not doing it. Flying economy on the the short part of the trip. However, because I have to return earlier than planned, 2 of us are flying back to the US in the last row of the plane on both trips (long version and then the short hop from JFK to DC), however, I'm still paying for Business class. Ticks me off something bad.

@SahmIam

I do not understand why if you are paying for business class you are seated in the last row.

Honored Contributor

@muttmom  Because we had to change our return flight for my son and myself at the last minute and that's all they had left on the flight.

Had we known about having to return sooner when we made the arrangements, we would have been fine. Sucks to be us.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

For me it depends on the airline and the distance traveled.  I would never pay some of the fees the airlines are asking for first class seats.  The front of the plane arrives the same time as the back of the plane.

I have flown to Asia several times for up to 24 hours each way.  Hot towels and drinks were provided along with snacks and meals. It seemed like first class because we were treated so well.  Korean Airlines is wonderful and the seats give you plenty of room.

I flew to Hawaii from the east coast several times and first class is definately better.  Our Airlines in The USA are not so nice, IMO.

So, if the seats were affordable and the travel was over four hours, I would upgrade. I have seen some first class seats between $5-10k, so a big no to those high fees.

LOL @Carmie.  That's too funny "front of plane arrives the same time the rest of the plane arrives."  Teeeheeeheee....

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

I traveled first class a number of times and, IMO, sure - it's worth it.  Smiley Happy   It's night and day, as long as the other passengers in the fc cabin are poilite, considerate people.

One time I did end up with a 'little seat kicker' behind me.    That needed to stop asap.     All the other times it was a dream.

YMMV and another thing is that it kind of spoils traveling coach after you've been in first class a bunch of times, especially on a long trip.

Valued Contributor

Try flying Premium Economy.  More space and bigger seats and in a separate compartment.  Not as expensive as business class or first class.