Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone traveled plane First Class? Worth it?

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Thank you for starting this thread @ Montana as I have the same question.  I used to travel for business every week, 20 years ago.  But no plane travel since.

I'll be taking a vacation (cruise) for the first time in 10 years next summer, and I have to get from D.C. to Miami.  I was wondering the same thing -- is 1st Class worth it.  By the sound of it, Yes.

DC to Miami is a pretty short flight, maybe 2 1/2 hours or so. I wouldn't pay for first class for that. I do, however, pay more for the extra legroom seats for that kind of flight. I don't feel quite as cramped that way. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

Occasionally for special trips or long flights, my husband will surprise me with first class.  It is so much more pleasurable than the seats in steerage we usually occupy.

When I make the reservations, I'll bump up to Economy Plus or on a rare occasion, Business Class.

Honored Contributor

For me it depends on the airline and the distance traveled.  I would never pay some of the fees the airlines are asking for first class seats.  The front of the plane arrives the same time as the back of the plane.

I have flown to Asia several times for up to 24 hours each way.  Hot towels and drinks were provided along with snacks and meals. It seemed like first class because we were treated so well.  Korean Airlines is wonderful and the seats give you plenty of room.

I flew to Hawaii from the east coast several times and first class is definately better.  Our Airlines in The USA are not so nice, IMO.

So, if the seats were affordable and the travel was over four hours, I would upgrade. I have seen some first class seats between $5-10k, so a big no to those high fees.

Trusted Contributor

Many times. The main thing is there's a bigger chair. So comfortable compared to the cheap seats. But at 3-4 times the price, it's definitely a luxury and I'd say not worth it unless the price really isn't a pinch for you or you have a special need. 

Contributor

This is on my bucket list! Hopefully soon!

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

For me it depends on the airline and the distance traveled.  I would never pay some of the fees the airlines are asking for first class seats.  The front of the plane arrives the same time as the back of the plane.

@Carmie I frequently joke with friends that coach arrives first because the back wheels hit the tarmac before the front wheels! ha!

However, for the first time I am going to go Business Class on British Airways the end of June. I have never flown on that airline, and I requested First Class to see if it was worth it. Evidently on the type of plane I will be on, there is no First Class, just Business Class. My seat is supposed to lay down 180 degrees and there is only one seat next to me. My choice was to face forward or backward when reclining, and I said I didn't want to look back towards coach, but forward towards the pilot. The seat next to me will face backward when reclined.

Honored Contributor

I have never because I've only flown airlines like Southwest, Frontier and other charter flights.

I have relatives who took a flight to Italy and decided to upgrade to first class.  They said it was phenomenal but not sure it was worth the extra money.

A relative of mine recently flew on a Dreamliner but I don't really know what the big whoop is with that. 

Honored Contributor

Very worth it for international flights, domestic flights I just soldier on through economy.

I have flown across the pond many times and a few of those I sprung for 1st class.  Once was Air France - (wowza!), once was Israeli airlines, the others were all Luftanza, all were really special!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

I totally agree with you particularly if you are flying to Asia. Because you will be able to sleep. I have also noticed that the huge Airbus 318 is very confortable even in coach the air seems more pure. In the way to Europe I would also recommend it because you lose an average of 5 to 7 hours and the jet lag can be tough.🌻

Esteemed Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Thank you for starting this thread @ Montana as I have the same question.  I used to travel for business every week, 20 years ago.  But no plane travel since.

I'll be taking a vacation (cruise) for the first time in 10 years next summer, and I have to get from D.C. to Miami.  I was wondering the same thing -- is 1st Class worth it.  By the sound of it, Yes.

DC to Miami is a pretty short flight, maybe 2 1/2 hours or so. I wouldn't pay for first class for that. I do, however, pay more for the extra legroom seats for that kind of flight. I don't feel quite as cramped that way. 

ITA.  FOr short flight like that I would not pay the extra cost.  I will only pay for first or business class for flights lasting longer than 4 hours.