Respected Contributor

Anyone traveled plane First Class? Worth it?

Something I have always wanted to do.

Contributor

Re: Anyone traveled plane First Class? Worth it?

I flew first class in March from Mn to Fl.  I'm very claustrophobic and struggle to fly.  I was dissapointed that there was not as much room as I had expected.  It was, however, nice to have an easily accessible bathroom for first class, a proper meal, and lots of attention from flight attendants for anything you needed.  It is also easy boarding and leaving the plane, you also get two free bags to check.  I guess all in all, I would have to say it was worth the extra money.  I don't fly very often so to me the added comfort was worth it.

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago, my husband did consulting work in Norway. We were able to fly business class. It was SO nice. The food was good, the booze was flowing, and we had room to stretch out. Those were the good old days.

Respected Contributor

I was forced into it when I was in my early 20s because it was the only seat left.  I had no idea the alcohol etc. was free so I didn't take advantage of any of it. Turned out there was a terrible storm, and we were re-routed to an airport four or five states away, had to walk off the plane onto the tarmac in the rain, into a closed airport, and take a school-type bus home driving all night - wet, sitting next to some guy I wouldn't doubt was a serial killer. All our luggage was left on the tarmac too and the dye came out of my soft-sided suitcase and ruined all my clothes.  After traveling all night, I had to be at work in two hours when I got home!

For me, no it wasn't worth it LOL!

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

I was forced into it when I was in my early 20s because it was the only seat left.  I had no idea the alcohol etc. was free so I didn't take advantage of any of it. Turned out there was a terrible storm, and we were re-routed to an airport four or five states away, had to walk off the plane onto the tarmac in the rain, into a closed airport, and take a school-type bus home driving all night - wet, sitting next to some guy I wouldn't doubt was a serial killer. All our luggage was left on the tarmac too and the dye came out of my soft-sided suitcase and ruined all my clothes.  After traveling all night, I had to be at work in two hours when I got home!

For me, no it wasn't worth it LOL!

Didn't it rain on the coach passengers, too?

Respected Contributor

That really depends on where you're going. How long is the flight? What airline? Domestic or international? What amenities are you specifically looking for? The food is no better than average banquet food on most domestic flights, and many flights don't serve meals, even up front. On some highly competitve routes, such as transcons, it's upgraded, but it's still not worth the additional cost. Service will vary from attentive to nearly non-existent depending on the luck of the draw with cabin crew on your flight. I pay for first class on any domestic flight (sometimes with cash, sometimes with miles) with a block time longer than 90 minutes and business class on any international flight, strictly for the more comfortable seat and (mostly) quieter atmosphere.  Outside of that, I take my chances on my place on the medallion upgrade list. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

For a long trip, yes it is.

@Montana wrote:

Something I have always wanted to do.

Honored Contributor

Yayeeeessss!  As often as I can!  No stress, no loudness, personalized service... smooth sailing...

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Esteemed Contributor

About 7 years ago my DH,son & I were flying home from a trip to Vegas.Just after we boarded the plane a flight attendant approached us & told us they had additional space in first class & noticed it was my DH birthday so they were bumping us up for free!!

We had a blast!! We were given hot towels,DH & I were given drinks.We got delicious hot meals etc.

When we deplaned they handed my DH a bottle of wine!!

It was a great experience.However,flying first class is so expensive we would never pay for it ourselves.But if it's something you really want to do & don't mind the cost,go for it.

Valued Contributor

YES - on trips over 2.5 hours!  DH used to travel a great deal and was often upgraded.  He usually used his upgrades for when we went together as a family or as a couple to make travel a bit more bearable on long trips!   I miss the good old days of upgrades! When traveling cross country or Hawaii we do go first class now, even if we have to cash in some airline points to do so!