Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone traveled plane First Class? Worth it?

Thank you for starting this thread @ Montana as I have the same question.  I used to travel for business every week, 20 years ago.  But no plane travel since.

I'll be taking a vacation (cruise) for the first time in 10 years next summer, and I have to get from D.C. to Miami.  I was wondering the same thing -- is 1st Class worth it.  By the sound of it, Yes.

Honored Contributor

I used to work for an airline in the seventies and eighties. First class was something special then no matter what length of flight. I actually saved some my menus.

When i had to start paying for flights, I had to fly economy. Especially now that they have crammed the seats so close together, I can't stand it. We have started to use first or business again. Husband went to Vegas a few months ago. Airline going on served him peanuts in first. Airline coming home, had food and better seats. Much depends on the airline and destination.

Respected Contributor

Yes, it is well worth it.  You are not sitting shoulder to shoulder or worse,  thigh to thigh with a stranger.  No one with a weak bladder is forcing you to get up so they can make numerous trips to the bathroom. No children are running up and down the aisle with Mom chasing them.  The person in front of you is not laying in your lap.  The flight attendants bump your seat constantly as they go up and down the aisles in coach. There is more aisle room in first class.  You get on the plane first and off first with plenty of room for your belongings.

it hurts when you realize you are paying twice as much, but the benefits outweigh the cost.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, and probaby yes.  We have flown first class which I find to be a bit of an overkill.  We always fly business class on international flights using miles that we have from our credit cards.  But as others have pointed out, the service, even in business, has gone down at least on United and American which we fly the most.  It is certainly better than what I call "steerage" and for a long flight, for us, it's a no brainer.  If we can't fly business class, we don't go.

Domestically, we always upgrade to premium plus or whatever the extra cost seat is called.  Worth the extra legroom and early boarding.

Esteemed Contributor

You know it is a hard question to answer. I have not flown coach since 2006. For me it is worth it. I am not a people person and need space. The last time I flown coach I was in the middle and both men on both sides hogged both arm rest, while I had none and that was the last straw. It is expensive and the back of the plane lands at the same time as the front. I take two good vacations a year. I could take more vacations if I flew coach. So it depends what on what your personal pros and cons.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

I always fly the bulkhead, which is just behind first class.  I'm not disabled, but have long legs.  I love the extra room.  I can't book that seat when I book the flight, however I used to be able to call the airlines 24 hrs in advance and change my seat to the bulkhead as long as a disabled passenger doesn't need it.

Now it's a bit harder.  I now go to the ticket agent who is at the gate and ask for that seat.  I always get it.  I learned this from my friend who works for American Airlines.  Many times the flight attendant who serves me is the first class fight attendant.  I do, however, used the economy class bathroom.  

Contributor

I have to agree with one of the other responders and say it depends on where you're going/how long the flight is.  I live on the east coast and will fly first class if I'm going to the west coast...purely for the room 'cause it's definitely not for that horrible food...LOL (food used to be really tasty...now, not so much).  If you drink, then you hit the jackpot I guess 'cause they keep 'em coming. Me, I get my full water intake onboard since I don't drink.  Other than that, I fly comfort level and don't even mind it.  But if it's a dream of yours, certainly go for it no matter what! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Agree it depends up length of flight, age of aircraft, airline,etc. 

We just flew FC to Honolulu. The going flight was great. Newer Amarican Airline. The return was an older plane and it was miserable!. the reclining seat was hard as a brick and no personal "tv". They passed out devices and had hook you up etc. 

FC food is no big deal and alcohol not important to me. 

Some friends just flew American Economy Plus and said they would recommend. I think if Business Class is available it would be a better value than First Class.

Trusted Contributor

We flew first-class in late March because our seats had been upgraded for some reason.  It was a connection flight, and very short.

After a long day in the airport and on several flights, it was a welcomed change.  Enjoyed a glass of wine and a choice from about 20 items for a snack.  It tided me over until we were able to grab some dinner.

I have no idea what the price difference would have been, but I wouldn't pay for first-class unless it was a very long flight.  I think that would remind me of one of the flights we took to Hawaii about 33 years ago.  

Honored Contributor

I flew first class once.  I was upgraded for giving up my seat on a different flight, plus I got airline credits.  It was nice.  I don't know that I'd pay for it, unless I won the lotto.