Esteemed Contributor

Anyone take a cruise to Canada

I want ot take a cruise with friends up the East coast of the US to Canada in the Fall 2020.  Two choices for us... out of Baltimore or out of NJ.  Anyone do this with some suggestions.  

I have been told the NJ choice is better but for us we will have to get to Newark first and then to the docks.  Going out of Baltimore would be easier, just drive over and park.  But I am wondering if that would be the better choice when it is all said and done. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone take a cruise to Canada

This past May we took a 7 day cruise from Montreal to Boston.  Stops in Quebec City, PEI, 2 ports in Nova Scotia.  For me the ports of call are the most important part of a cruise, next the size of the ship (I prefer smaller, 1200 passenger ships) so not knowing the ship or the ports of the cruises you're considering, I would opt for leaving from closer to home.

Honored Contributor

Why are some saying the NJ port is better?

I've only ever cruised out of Florida.  Miami and Tampa.  I'm in Ohio so it requires a decent flight and then an uber to the port.   

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with @kaydee50 . I do love the big ships, but I need to fly no matter what. If I lived close enough to drive to a port, I would probably weigh that heavily.

But, I don’t think itineraries are out yet for Fall 2020 - what cruise line are you looking at? Things may change and ships that are at those ports now may not be there in two years.
Esteemed Contributor

Several years ago we took a Fall foliage cruise out of New Jersey.  We really enjoyed it.  Connected with another couple on Cruise Critic and rented a car (in advance, they run out) in one of the Canadian ports.  Also enjoyed Nova Scotia, Bar Harbor (made lunch reservations on line for a particular Crab Roll specialty restaurant), Boston.  Would recommend and would do it again.  We go on many cruises, think that one was Royal Carribean.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm most interested in a cruise like this. It's on my list. Can you tell me if this is a cruise where you must dress up for dinner? We are looking for more casual. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I'd want to visit Baltimore itself, before or after, so leaving from there would be best.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, probably leaving from Baltimore would be best.  I have limited information right now.  I was told the cruise from NJ was a better one, whatever that means. In any case I can get to Baltimore in about 1 1/2 which is far better than finding a way to Newark.  I have ntil 2020 to figure it out. Going to be in the Fall. The Foliage time of the year is a good choice but it doesn't have to be.  I live in the woods.LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu - based on the choices, I’m assuming you are looking at Royal Caribbean.  The reason New Jersey is “better” is because that’s Anthem’s port.  A large ship with many frills.

However, I heard that Anthem will be going to Europe in 2020 to gets its regularly scheduled maintenance.  Don’t know when it will return and don’t know what will take its place.  May be back for fall cruising, but I don’t know.

I like Anthem.  Many hate it.  If you don’t need frills, then the ship doesn’t matter.

Respected Contributor

Il took the Vision of the Seas from Newark to Quebec last October. It was a wonderful cruise although we didn't hit the peak of color it was beautiful. If I lived closer to Baltimore, that's where I'd leave from. A trip is what you make it and there are so many stops on the trip that you really don't spend much time on the ship at all.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown