Respected Contributor

Anyone still using Travelocity, Priceline, Kayak or the like? Experiences?

[ Edited ]

On my last short trip (5 days) I used Priceline to bundle my air, car and lodging. The room I got was awful, I had what I consider to be a sub- standard room, even though I chose the room on-line, when I got there, the carpet in it was so grossly stained it was ridiculous! This is the third time I have huge fail! I am about to give up on these companies and go back to a tried and true travel agent! 

What have you experienced? Any suggestions?

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone still using Travelocity, Priceline, Kayak or the like? Experiences?

I always go directly to the source.  I have found that the majority of the time the price is cheaper and hotels, in particular, are more accommodating to you when you book directly with them.  

If you book with a third party, any problems have to be resolved by the third party because you are considered their client.  

Honored Contributor

I don't travel much but my brother and sister-in-law have found it better (easier in the long-run) to book directly with the source.  He says that, if there's an issue during the trip, it's much easier to resolve with the source than through one of those third parties.

Honored Contributor

Whenever  I travel to So. Cal. I book directly with Marriott and always get outstanding results. I wouldn't touch Priceline or any of those other "outfits".

Respected Contributor

I do a fair amount of traveling in the country and outside, I never use a travel agent and I never use Travelocity Priceline etc. When problems happen, and they do, I want to deal directly with the carrier, hotel etc.  Years ago I did that once and got absolutely no help from Travelocity.

Honored Contributor

I always used to use Expedia or Orbitz to book trips to places I wasn't familiar with.  However, when my husband had to fly back to England to deal with his dad's funeral, we ended up in a horrible mess, with the hotel charging us twice.

At what was an already stressful time, Expedia were no help at all - quite the opposite.  The hotel tried to say that they charged us for the room I had reserved because my husband did not show up and didn't cancel!  I basically said WTH???   He was there for 10 days!  He checked in and he checked out.  And he had an invoice for it.

Long story short, Expedia did nothing and I had to deal with an ombudsman in England to get it sorted.  Thankfully, I had friends there who got the contact information for me.  Never again.  Their "guarantee" isn't worth the (online) paper it's printed on.

I have gotten a better deal with hotels here by phoning them directly.  Also, if you're a member, AAA is very good.

Esteemed Contributor

I am a person that enjoys traveling, especially out of country. Chalk me up as one that prefers to deal directly with the source. 

Years, ago I use to fly to Atlanta several times a year. I would use Priceline for my rental car only. Nothing else. 

Honored Contributor

I use these sites for pricing, then book with an agent.  I can't be 6 thousand miles from home with no support if there's an issue imo.

Super Contributor

I do not use these sites to travel and I do travel a fair amount.  I only go directly to the source.  I have found out in the long run the prices end up being better and the service is as well.  In fact I just booked a cruise with some family members and they went with an agent and I went directly to the source and my price was better.  

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't traveled in quite some time but up until a few years ago, my husband and I traveled extensively, mostly internationally. I always booked every detail myself, from the airline tickets to hotel rooms, even local tours, spécial dinner reservations, and train tickets. By the time we arrived for our trip, everything was taken care of. I became quite a good travel agent.