Frequent Contributor

Anyone know the Charleston, SC area?

I've had a rough year dealing with medical issues and just had surgery last week. Once I get the OK from my Dr. that I can fly, I'm looking forward to a nice relaxing vacation.

I'd prefer a hotel on the beach...I just want to have some drinks, eat some good food and maybe a little shopping. I'm not looking to rent a car, I just want to relax and stay some place where I can walk to restaurants and some local shopping (not a mall).

I saw The Tides hotel on Folly Beach but since I don't know the area at all, I was hoping you ladies might be able to help me. I'm open to suggestions. Thank you!

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone know the Charleston, SC area?

Charleston downtown does not have any beaches. The beaches are all on barrier islands. Although it is very pricey, I highly recommend Kiawah Island.  The hotel is called The Sanctuary. They have shopping there, on the Island and nearby at Freshfields, a shopping area with grocery, pharmacy and restaurants. You can take a shuttle around and out from the airport.

A very special place. Huge live oak trees, lagoons, wild life galore.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bianca, go to the travel forum.  Awesome resources there, many experienced travellers who are very helpful.  Good luck.  Hope you have a great vacation!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@wonderfulworld, Kiawah Island sounds lovely.  Sounds restorative.  LM

Super Contributor

@Bianca,

Go to this site:

Charleston SC The Official Guide

https://charleston.com/

There are tons of links for hotels, beaches, restaurants, places of interest, video tours, etc.  Hope this helps.  Two of my friends moved to Charleston and they love it.  Feel better!  Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Thank you so much ladies. I'll definitely check these all out. Had a tumor removed from head & as soon as I get the all clear to fly, I'll be on beach,p with a drink in my hand & my toes in the sand.

LuvMyBichon, that's what I'm afraid of, I may not want to come back to the craziness & stress of NY! 9 more years until I can retire...I just need to pace myself. Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Thank you Winderful, this looks perfect! Seems to have everything I was looking for and a shuttle too. I just signed up for emails, maybe I can get a deal for mid-August. 

Frequent Contributor

Hi Lilysmom, I never even noticed they have a travel forum!  I work long days and travel 3-4 hours a day so when I occasionally check the boards, I just "view all" and just read what interests me. Thank you!

Respected Contributor

@Biancawrote:

Thank you Winderful, this looks perfect! Seems to have everything I was looking for and a shuttle too. I just signed up for emails, maybe I can get a deal for mid-August. 

If you are looking for relaxing and beautiful Kiawah is it. Folly Beach is more touristy and has some good surfing spots so it is more crowded.

Kiawah has 10 miles of beautiful walking beaches and is very peaceful and gorgeous. Lots of Island...not built up and has bike paths and scenery galore.

It will be hot and humid in August but there is a breeze at the beach and everything is air conditioned. You can rent a beach chair and just hang out.

Esteemed Contributor

@Biancawrote:

Hi Lilysmom, I never even noticed they have a travel forum!  I work long days and travel 3-4 hours a day so when I occasionally check the boards, I just "view all" and just read what interests me. Thank you!

@Bianca, wherever you go, I hope you have a restorative vacation and get great weather.  Sounds like you are due for some R & R!  LM