Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone from Hawaii or traveled there?

Thanks.  I will have to be careful about what I pack and also your suggestions about where to go are very helpful.  

Honored Contributor

Aloha @bonnielu...which island will you be visiting, or do you plan to visit several? I live on O’ahu & the only other island I’ve actually visited is the Big Island (Hawai’i Island). I’m not the best tour guide but I can give you a few hints. Let me know.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

Haven’t been to Hawaii but have read a few POA trip reports as I was considering taking a cruise for my 50th. (Think I’m going land trip instead.)

Anyways, for the big island at least, I saw a lot of people using Mary Lou’s Big Island Tours for both of their ports on that island. I would check them out (good thing you are asking early, because some tours may sell out!)
Esteemed Contributor

Each island has its own personality and features of interest. Too many people make the mistake of living on the beach and not seeing what is available island-wide. The Dole Plantation is just a tourist stop  known for its Dole Whip. Its former days of glory and pineapple fields are primarily in the past. The Big Island needs a full weekk to explore all it has to offer, speaking as a former resident. 

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Will travel to Hawaii May 2019 --- bucket list.   Wanted to find out

1. What to wear  (cruise) and land excursions

2. What not to miss (excursions)

I tend to overpack and I tend to miss the good stuff.  LOL

I've been to Hawaii three times, twice to Oahu.  Of course go to Pearl Harbor.  Get there EARLY.  Before the buses.  It gets crowded fast and the parking is a nightmare.  Leonards Bakery for their malasadas.  They are delicious!  The line is out the door and the parking is very limited.  National Memorial Cemetery.  Drive to the North Shore.  See the turltes.  That's a hot spot for surfers and also the famous shaved ice place, Matsumoto.

Esteemed Contributor

As I recall from previous threads, you and your husband aren't beach people.  So a swimsuit is not necessary.

Clothing: whatever summer clothes you wear at home, pair of sneakers,a pair of sandals, you're on a cruise ship, so you may want to dress up one night for dinner (that's fun), you don't have to, lightweight jacket and a wrap.  The rule of travel is never take more than you can carry.  The cruise ships have laundry facilities.

Excursion:  Good suggestions have been given by many posters here. You might want to invest on a good tour book for the Hawaii Islands.

@bonnielu

Esteemed Contributor

One odd thing we did in Oahu and really enjoyed:  go where the fishing boats unload their catch (very early, I'm sure your concierge can tell you exactly when); after that there is a silent auction, using hand signals) where various chefs but fish for their restaurants.  We actually took a local bus from our hotel to go to auction.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@bonnielu

we are going at the end of may also! ours is not a cruise though and we will be on oahu.

cannot wait.......would love to hear any and all suggestions.

i do know that i want to see pearl harbor AND the dole plantation.

Pearl Harbor is a must see, but the Dole Plantation is not worth the trip.  When I first went to Hawaii, Dole was amazing.

Now it changed.  They have a few gardens and a gift shop.  The Dole Whip is delicious I have to say, but it is not worth going just for that.

Respected Contributor

If you don't want to take the ship's excursions, then just see if there are similar ones on Trip Advisor. I''m going next year as well. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

Love Hawaii, and hubby and I have been 3 times.....

I love that you can plan and do as much as you want, and also still plan to take time to just lay on the beach and relax!! The weather is always beautiful and warm, so nice lightweight clothing would be great. 

Do some research ahead of time and kind of mark down things you are interested in doing. Once you get there and start talking to people, you will either plan for what you want to do and see, or take it day by day.

It is very expensive in Hawaii as well.1st time we stayed in ahotel in Oahu, and a condo in Maui, the 2nd time was a hotel in Maui the whole time and the 3rd time was a hotel on the Big Island.

If we are ever lucky enough to go again, I would definitely do a condo........Google Hawaii Tourist Board, and send away for some brochures and info.....That way you can kind of have an idea of what you may want to do while there......Enjoy!!!!!! It is indeed Paradise!!!!!!