Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone from Hawaii or traveled there?

I was disappointed with the Polynesian Cultural Center and the luau there. It was just a mess of food buffet style- there didn't seem to be anything "cultural" about it. The polynesian show after dark was pretty good though.

I would recommend:

Dinner at Roy's

Beaching it at Lanikai (not as crowded as Waikiki) 

Aloha Stadium flea market for souvenirs and food. 

Bad Ass Coffe Company if you are a coffee lover- it's the best coffee I've had inside the US!

Plate lunch joints, you'll get a ton of food, real cheap. You've got to like carbs and mayonaise though!

Someone mentioned shave ice, which is the best darn snow cone you'll ever have.

Also, manapua- steamed buns filled with pork are just yummy. I could make a pig of myself with them. Street vendors sell these and they are well worth a try.

Diamond Head- wear comfy shoes and clothes and expect to walk and climb. I saw women in skirts and heels during our trek

Hope you have a wonderful time. I know you're going to LOVE it!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We’ve gone twice. Most of the things we did and places we visited have already been mentioned. We snorkeled at Hanauma Bay which was beautiful, not sure if that was mentioned. We drove around the perimeter of Oahu and then drove up into the mountain and over to the other side that way. Lovely scenery! 

Honored Contributor

Many good suggestions here......DH and I went to Oahu, Maui and Kauai a few years ago....

Oahu.....we did walk up Diamond Head....so glad we did....but take your time... (sip on water and rest when needed)....good walking shoes a must for that and touring anywhere!  Pearl Harbor...YES!   At end of day...dinner at Duke's with a piece of Hula Pie!!! (one piece to share!). 

Maui ..good whale watching area... Mama's Fish House....very good but expensive (what isn't in Hawaii?)...... went to a real funny mystery-comedy show there.....Yes to drive up mountain top of  Haleaukula!  

Kauai......took a Catamaran dinner trip to Napali Coast..whale watching too.....went to luau ....

Casual clothes.....money.....enjoy the beautiful areas....I check Trip Advisor on traveler's comments too.

ALOHA!