Esteemed Contributor

Anyone fly in and out of Dallas-Ft Worth Airport?

Anyone familiar with the Dallas Ft. Worth airport.  We will fly American

Our flight back from Honolulu flies into Dallas-Ft Worth.  We have 45 minutes to change planes to board a flight going to Baltimore.  I noticed there were many terminals connected by a train from one terminal to another.  Wondering if this is an easy situation... with limited time to reach the next boarding area.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone fly in and out of Dallas-Ft Worth Airport?

I have had connecting flights through Dallas-Ft. Worth and try to avoid them as much as possible because of the distances between terminals, the number of gates, and time constraints. It can also take a considerable amount of time between landing and taxing to the terminal gate.  I am usually at opposite sides and ends of the terminal for connecting flight and need at least one hour to traverse the distance and, perhaps, get a snack or use the bathroom.  The airport is bright, workers are usually friendly, and there are varied restaurants, etc. The trains help and the electric carts (reserve one if you have difficulties walking) do as well.

Respected Contributor

I have not flown in and out of Dallas-Fort Worth but I had kind of the same situation with American in September with a flight connecting in Chicago. However, in our case we only had 30 minutes between flights (we didn’t book it that way rather American changed our flight time).  I was pretty worried we would miss our connecting flight but luckily it was in the same airport wing and down a few gates so we made it. Hopefully that will be your case in Dallas-Fort Worth. 

Honored Contributor

We have flown in and out of Dallas-Ft Worth many times and do so going to and from Hawaii. 

If memory serves me right, we left Honolulu both times at 5:45 pm and flew to DWF and arrived early morning so it was easier to change terminals. (It’s an 8-hr flight from here.)

Do your homework about which terminal you arrive and how to get to your connecting flight. After you get there, go to the restroom and get your snack.

Respected Contributor

Check the map of the terminal on the back of the AA magazine.

If you have to change terminals then take the tram. Do not try to walk. Changing gates within the same terminal is a walk or hop on one of the carts with driver. Get to you departure gate and then find food. Do not eat at your arrival gate/terminal.

In my experience, the Hawaii flights arrive earlier than scheduled. 

Honored Contributor

That is probably the only airport that I try to avoid. It seems anytime I have been there, there are thunderstorms and the flight always gets delayed. Sometimes I can't avoid going thru that airport, especially when I go to Palm Beach, Florida. It seems to be the most direct way from where I live, going thru DFW.

A relative just returned from a trip that had him change planes in DFW and he missed his connection due to the thunderstorms, and his luggage didn't catch up with him for two days.

Honored Contributor

With American, you have a better chance of making your connection.  For me, Delta has the tightest connections of any airline.  They have people standing at the gate with your re-booked ticket in hand because they know you can't make your connection.

I was just in DFW a few weeks ago, but not to connect.  The trains between terminals are very fast.  If you know exactly where you are going, if you don't have all your carryon stuff loading you down, and you move fast, you can make the connection easily.

I did the Honolulu through DFW to National many many many years ago.

It was over the Christmas holidays and there was an ice storm in DC and we were encouraged to take an earlier flight out of Honolulu.  So I got on the flight in my shorts and bathingsuit top and flipflops then ended up grounded in DFW all night.  We landed at National, too far from the terminal due to the ice.  They met us at the plane door with blankets as none of us had coats since we had everything packed for a later flight.  We had to walk to the terminal.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good luck! And move fast!  We did it once and hope to never do it again along with the Miami airport.  

Honored Contributor

Dallas Fort Worth Airprt is larger than huge.  There are different freeway exits for each airline.  I use to fly Southwest and they use Dallas Love Field Airport.  Give yourself plenty of time. 

Respected Contributor

When we fly back from Hawaii..I check all of my baggage so all I have to deal with is my purse. Connections seem to be tight at every airport on those return trips.