Respected Contributor

Any tips for dealing with jet lag?

We will be flying overnight to Amsterdam (8:30 pm EST)and back a few weeks later (1:00 pm local time). This is for vacation/river cruise.

Any advice on how to get some sleep on the plane and how to deal with jet lag?

We are flying comfort class.

I know many of you have much more experience than I do and I sure appreciate any advice you can give me.

Super Contributor

Re: Any tips for dealing with jet lag?

If you can, get a prescription from your doctor for something to help you sleep. Also bring a small travel pillow that is more comfortable (and less germy) than the airline ones.  Definitely stretch your legs and wear compression socks if possible. They will help keep any swelling down and make your flight more comfortable. Another thing we always do is bring a few snacks in our carryons. If you don't need them on the plane it's nice to have them at the hotel if you get peckish. 

When you reach your destination, do not go to sleep! This is the ONE BIG piece of advice - not even a nap - just get on with your day! Check into your hotel, freshen up and then go out - sightsee, have a meal, do something nearby that is not terribly taxing but DO... NOT... SLEEP.

The reason is that you will acclimatize much more easily if you get your body on Amsterdam time as soon as possible. We've traveled all over (including New Zealand, England, Australia) and these tips help us all the time. Hope this helps! ENJOY YOUR TRIP!

Esteemed Contributor

I have travelled internationally a lot and in addition to above recommendations, try No Jet Lag pills from Amazon.

Honored Contributor

I have found traveling eastward as you will be doing to Amsterdam is easier than flying westward.  I agree with previous poster, don't go to sleep on arrival.  It will be morning, check into hotel, and go out for a walk or some easy sightseeing.  Get the "lay of the land" and then maybe take a short nap in the afternoon.  

As for sleeping on the plane I always use an eye mask to keep out any lights or other distractions.  Helps me sleep.  I also may have a glass of wine.  Never meds.

Coming back home always took me a few days to adjust but then it doesn't really matter.

Bon voyage!!

Honored Contributor

I used to travel a lot but not much anymore.  However, my daughter (both) travel to Europe and everywhere you can think of.

The main thing they say is to make sure you drink lots and lots of water.  They said flying will dehydrate you and water will help you more than people realize.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

B6462102-31EC-4F6B-ADAA-1214CDBCD175.jpegMiers Labs No Jet Lag Homeopathic Jet Lag Remedy, 32 Count

on Amazon prime free next day shipping. 5 1/2 Star reviews  Only 8.95 for 32 tablets

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to travel extensively for business, making the trip from KC to London every 6 weeks.  What worked for me was to try and get on the new time zone as soon as you board the jet.  This means skipping that delicious dinner if the time at destination is late night/early morning.  Stay hydrated on the plane and don’t drink alcohol or at least limit yourself.  When you get there, (try to) stay up to your normal bedtime on the local time clock.  Melatonin cane be helpful for promoting sleep on the plane.  I don’t have experience with the no jet lag pills as they didn’t have those when I travelled.

should have also added that it can take up to one day per time zone crossed to adjust.

Trusted Contributor

Hubby and I took this trip last May. We flew to Amsterdam, toured the city, took bus to Holland,  Bus to Brussels  all with no sleep out of SLC. 

However when we need to sleep, we take the old Dramamine that makes you drowsy.  Works like a charm. 

We also bought the neck pillow they sell here.  It has 3 arms the usual U shape that goes around your neck then the 3rd arm goes to the side of your head to keep your head from flopping. Fantastic.  Have a great time. Amsterdam is a fantastic city to go see. The Viking history, Dutch history was fascinating. 

Valued Contributor

Most important advice is to stay awake and moderately active until bedtime in Amsterdam.  

We visited Amsterdam at the end of a river cruise and booked our tickets to the Van Gogh museum online to avoid the line.  That could be a good place to spend your first afternoon.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all very much. I am going to order the no jet lag medicine and will check out the pillow asap. Sounds great.