Super Contributor

Any ideas to help me get my money back?

[ Edited ]

Just a short version--- I am a senior citizen.  I was asked to visit someone in Hawaii---basically all I would need to pay for is flight---and any souveniers!  I purchased tickets thru United. (I live in TN).  I purchased tix JUST before this virus exploded!  The day WHO got involved, I asked my dr. ---- she promplty told me to stay home!  So, I cancelled my tix.  United will only give refund in credit to use within a year.  I doubt I will be flying United this year! LOL  So, I have $600 plus in credit.  (They did credit my credit card back for $30 baggage fee)!  I even called my credit card co. and they could not help me since United didn't cancel.  Am I stuck--- or anyone with ideas of how to get my money back?  Thanks so much!

Just a quick edit--- I cannot reschedule to go to HI as planned.  Actually, my ex-husband's, ex wife, asked me to go with her to visit their daughter whose husband is stationed in the Navy there.  Their time is up and they are now in the process of returning home.  This is odd to most people but we think of each other as bonus family!

Honored Contributor

Re: Any ideas to help me get my money back?

We also have tix on United.  So far, it is not offering refunds only credits for a future flight within the next 12 months.  American has refunded us.  We're hoping United will change its policy but, if not, we will use the credit.

Contributor

As of today I heard that the DOT is requiring airlines to offer refunds rather than credits so you should be able to get your money back.
Honored Contributor

Plan a trip somewhere else to use the credit.  If you just cant do that, you might trying selling it after all this is over.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Super Contributor

They said I could not give, sell or let anyone else use this credit! 

My understanding, they only refund if THEY cancel the flight. 

I will call again in a few days when i have a couple of hours to be on hold with them.  Last time I held for just about 2 hours!

Just hoping above hope someone knew a sure way.  Without a lot of explanation--- it is doubtful I will be able to use the refund.

Thank you for all the suggestions--- please keep them coming if anyone has more!

Respected Contributor

Pretty sure I heard this morning that United and Delta are both giving two years to use the credit.

Honored Contributor

@pietook  Clarification.  We just cancelled our United flight which we had booked in January 2020.  They are only offering credits for flights BUT our flight has to be BOOKED by January 2021 good for flights through January 2022.  So basically, you have 2 years to use it.  

Unfortunately, if you rebook a flight that costs LESS than your original flight, United will not refund the difference.

Honored Contributor

@Turbosmom wrote:
As of today I heard that the DOT is requiring airlines to offer refunds rather than credits so you should be able to get your money back.

I heard the same thing. All airlines must refund your money and not issue credits if asked.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie  And on the DOT website, it states that airlines are required to give refunds promptly ONLY if the flight is cancelled or the flight schedule changes so that is inconvenient for the traveler.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50   I didn't look at the website.  I saw it on the news the other night on a segment called "Do not waste your money"

This is something new related to the Coronavirus.