Honored Contributor

Any Solo Cruisers Here?

[ Edited ]

I am seriously considering taking a cruise next summer, alone.  My preference is either with Royal Caribbean or Norwegian Cruise Line.  My major priority is a fantastic pool (on ship or at one of the destination stops), and a lovely beach.  I want a laid-back, wonderful vacation to read a book and enjoy the water. 

I will embark at one of three ports:

New York, New York

Baltimore, MD

or, Norfolk, VA

Question: Are any of you solo cruisers? I'd very much appreciate your opinions (good & bad) . Smiley Happy 

When I went on my cruise last summer, we noticed what appeared to be several solo cruisers. 

Honored Contributor

The only thing that would stop me is the cost.  You generally have to pay a premium price for two people although you're going alone.  Best to recruit a friend to go with you.  Have you considered going to a resort on one of the islands?  Pools on ships are usually pretty small.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

sounds like a great idea.....i have a friend who is going to new orleans by himself....enjoy!!

Frequent Contributor

Me too...my friends don't like cruise...they did it once on their bucket list and bummer...they said they liked it but would NEVER do it again.

Went last year with my daughter and her friends and met a woman who flew from England by herself to cruise by herself and thought if she can do it, so can I.

Well, still didnt do it, RCI is my favorite also, and love the fact they leave out of Bayonne, my daugher lives about 30 minutes from the port. 

There are solo cabins on some RCI and Norwegian ships out of NYC...so i got to become brave and do it myself..also!!

Thinking a 5 or 7 day to start solo..

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I know someone who solo cruises every year. You will have to pay for 2 people which is the minimum per cabin cost.If you can afford it do it.

Bon Voyage!! 🛳 ☀️

Honored Contributor

I've never cruised alone - unless you count the year I cruised with a friend who didn't want to leave the room except for dinner.  Met lots of intetesting people on that cruise, but if I were really starting out solo, I choose a resort in an area I'd have something to tour if/when I tired of being alone.  Then again, I can read uninterrupted in my own home whenever I want, just by not answering the phone!  I wouldn't pay the cost of a solo cruise just to relax.

Super Contributor

I went on a solo cruise about 2 years ago. I had a great time.  I became friendly with 2 women traveling together at my dinner table.  I took land tours by myself and it was fine.  In the evening I went to one of the clubs onboard to listen to music.  One of the Male staff asked me to dance- it was great!  I would do it again.

Honored Contributor

So many great responses -- thank you all!!!

@Kachina624   You make a very good point about the ship's pool.  I cruised on NCL last summer.  Their pool was merely a party pool -- very small indeed.  They had another, slightly larger pool for families, so of course that one was packed with little kids.   But one of the destinations was Belize -- basically a cruiseline-created magnificent, huge pool, next to a beautiful beach.  It was heavenly!

My sister and I cruised together on that one, but we have such vastly different interests.  She never wants the water, at all; never even packed a bathing suit.  She loves hitting the buffets all day, and doing all the activities and shows. 

We both still had a great time, and with that experience I really think I'll still enjoy myself alone.  Friends and family either don't like cruising, or cannot make it for other reasons. 

Honored Contributor

@pegomyheart   That sounds sensational!

Honored Contributor

As others have pointed out, if you can afford the surcharge for traveling alone, do it.  Most of the ships I've been on--Holland America, Carnival, Norwegian, Celebrity--have activities and "meet ups" for single travelers.

However, as others have also mentioned if you're looking for a pool and a pretty beach, cruising is not the answer.  I've always felt that the reason to cruise is to see and experience different cultures/areas without the hassle of packing and unpacking.