Trusted Contributor

Re: Any New York City dwellers here?

[ Edited ]

@Ann52 wrote:

So happy I saw this topic since I'll be in NYC the week of Thanksgiving for the parade.  Every day is planned except for Thursday.  After the parade, we'll pick places that we haven't seen.  Does anyone know of a good place to eat lunch after the parade that serves a traditional Thanksgiving meal?  Also, are the eating places open in Bryant Park on Thanksgiving?  Thanks.

@Ann52 

https://bryantpark.org/eat-drink

I don't know if they still do Thanksgiving dinner. Call them.
Sometimes restaurants won't tell you or know this far ahead of the holiday.

If you want an iconic (used to go when I was a kid, probably touristy now) NY place with a beautiful view, Tavern on the Green.  It's expensive. You should make a reservation. 

Frequent Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@Ann52 wrote:

So happy I saw this topic since I'll be in NYC the week of Thanksgiving for the parade.  Every day is planned except for Thursday.  After the parade, we'll pick places that we haven't seen.  Does anyone know of a good place to eat lunch after the parade that serves a traditional Thanksgiving meal?  Also, are the eating places open in Bryant Park on Thanksgiving?  Thanks.

@Ann52 

https://bryantparkT.org/eat-drink

If you want an iconic (used to go when I was a kid, probably touristy now) NY place with a beautiful view, Tavern on the Green.  It's expensive. You should make a reservation. 

Thanks for the link.  That's one I haven't seen.  Yes TOG is VERY expensive but I hear the views are incredible.

Respected Contributor

@Ann52 wrote:

@ILTH wrote:

@Ann52 wrote:

@Ann52 

Thanks for the link.  That's one I haven't seen.  Yes TOG is VERY expensive but I hear the views are incredible.

We were very disappointed in our experience at Tavern on the Green a couple of years ago.....tourist trap (which we are not a fan of).

Trusted Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Ann52 wrote:

@ILTH wrote:

@Ann52 wrote:

@Ann52 

We were very disappointed in our experience at Tavern on the Green a couple of years ago.....tourist trap (which we are not a fan of).

@Hoovermom 

This was after the reopen in 2014?

As I said (except for an enormous party that booked the entire restaurant shortly after it reopened), I mostly went when I was a kid and they had the outdoor patio. You could just wander in at night if you were roaming around the park. 

Back then, it was a whole different deal. 

I'd think, though, that the view would be great around Christmas. Sometimes, you choose ambiance over food. We did go one Mother's Day decades ago, as it was a last minute decision and it was one of the few places that could accommodate all of us. I don't even remember if it was good or bad. I'm guessing it was mediocre, at best. 😃

What was bad about your experience? 

Esteemed Contributor

@ILTH- I don't know how you are arriving but JFK airport is the way to go, LaGuardia is still under going some major, renovations and upgrades ($8 billion worth) and it is a mess unless you have a very early or late, late flight.

I am sure it will look beautiful when it is done but for now I refuse to use it.

Trusted Contributor

@Luvitorleaveit1 wrote:

@ILTH- I don't know how you are arriving but JFK airport is the way to go, LaGuardia is still under going some major, renovations and upgrades ($8 billion worth) and it is a mess unless you have a very early or late, late flight.

I am sure it will look beautiful when it is done but for now I refuse to use it.

@Luvitorleaveit1 

I don't know who this was meant for, but it's not me. ☺

I live in NYC. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry @ILTH I meant this for @pietook and any one else coming this way by plane.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Luvitorleaveit1 wrote:

NYT had readers post LaGuardia stories. Some said you have to take a 45 minute bus to the Lyft/Urber station. Others said many in the cab line to be dropped off were stuck in traffic that they just got out and walked (a long way). It is the only airport in a major US city that does not have some sort of rail service. 

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

@Luvitorleaveit1 wrote:

NYT had readers post LaGuardia stories. Some said you have to take a 45 minute bus to the Lyft/Urber station. Others said many in the cab line to be dropped off were stuck in traffic that they just got out and walked (a long way). It is the only airport in a major US city that does not have some sort of rail service. 

@granddi.  Yes, on The news it showed many people walking along the highway as traffic was stopped. LGA is a mess.

Esteemed Contributor

To each his own but I never had an issue or paid much attention when using LaGuardia in the past I was only interested in catching my flight but kudos to the renovation but the poor planning for those passengers trying to get to the airport and getting out of the airport was not thought through at all, the powers that be addressed if after the chaos.