Respected Contributor

Re: Any New York City dwellers here?

LGA was a wonderful airport, especially the Delta terminal which was separate from the original terminal.  It was never necessary to have a "rail" service because it was a 15 minute cab ride into Manhattan.  I used LGA for years even when I lived there and after as well.

I made the BIG mistake last month and flew into LGA for a long weekend!  What a nightmare!!!  It's not only the terminals being worked on but the roads, too and in that small area building new terminal buildings as well.  Tremendous amount of walking under tunnels of scaffolding.  Lord help you if you rent a car!  All the car rentals are on Ditmars Blvd or at Marine Air Terminal, normally a five minute drive by shuttle!  Not now, you have to walk to get a bus, the bus then takes you to the car rental shuttle.  It's a good half hour on the bus to get you to the car rental shuttle!  It's worse when you have to return the car.

Avoid LGA at all costs until all the work is completed, only God knows when it will be finished!

JFK is a better option at this point.  It is further from Manhattan but all the construction on the airport has been completed. It's about a half hour taxi ride to Manhattan. One of the problems I find with JFK is the car rentals.  You have to take a bus which takes you to the train and then the train takes you to the car rentals which are off the airport grounds.  I found it annoying to use especially when traveling with a suitcase even though it was on wheels!

Trusted Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

LGA was a wonderful airport, especially the Delta terminal which was separate from the original terminal.  It was never necessary to have a "rail" service because it was a 15 minute cab ride into Manhattan.  I used LGA for years even when I lived there and after as well.

I made the BIG mistake last month and flew into LGA for a long weekend!  What a nightmare!!!  It's not only the terminals being worked on but the roads, too and in that small area building new terminal buildings as well.  Tremendous amount of walking under tunnels of scaffolding.  Lord help you if you rent a car!  All the car rentals are on Ditmars Blvd or at Marine Air Terminal, normally a five minute drive by shuttle!  Not now, you have to walk to get a bus, the bus then takes you to the car rental shuttle.  It's a good half hour on the bus to get you to the car rental shuttle!  It's worse when you have to return the car.

Avoid LGA at all costs until all the work is completed, only God knows when it will be finished!

JFK is a better option at this point.  It is further from Manhattan but all the construction on the airport has been completed. It's about a half hour taxi ride to Manhattan. One of the problems I find with JFK is the car rentals.  You have to take a bus which takes you to the train and then the train takes you to the car rentals which are off the airport grounds.  I found it annoying to use especially when traveling with a suitcase even though it was on wheels!

I know everybody hates Newark, but it never bothered me.  Maybe, I've been lucky? 

I don't think I've been in LaGuardia in decades. 

Frequent Contributor

I have another question about NYC.  What is the weather like in November around Thanksgiving?  Now I'm trying to plan my wardrobe. Layer, layer, layer is the plan. Starting early.  Make take awhile.

Someone asked where which airport we are using.  LGA.  Didn't know it was under construction.  Oh well.  Will make the best of the situation.

Respected Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@Somertime wrote:

I know everybody hates Newark, but it never bothered me.  Maybe, I've been lucky? 

I don't think I've been in LaGuardia in decades. 

LOL...........Newark is the only airport I fly out of. It's a very good and convenient airport. OK, I'll use JFK in case of an emergency, but I don't think I've ever flown out of LaGuardia. I've picked people up and dropped them off there after telling them never to fly into or out of there again. It's a horror show and always has been. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ann52 wrote:

I have another question about NYC.  What is the weather like in November around Thanksgiving?  Now I'm trying to plan my wardrobe. Layer, layer, layer is the plan. Starting early.  Make take awhile.

Someone asked where which airport we are using.  LGA.  Didn't know it was under construction.  Oh well.  Will make the best of the situation.

@Ann52 

It's a crapshoot.

It can be fairly mild. It can be very cold and snowy. It can be in between. You might need a light coat or a heavy winter one. I remember one freezing Thanksgiving in particular. I mean record-breaking cold. I remember snowstorms. I remember nice mild spring-like Thanksgivings.

Layers is a good idea. Be sure to bring gloves, earmuffs or hat, scarf and boots-- if that's what you normally wear in cold and snow. Especially if you plan on going to the Parade and it happens to be a cold one. 

Otherwise, you should be okay with cabs, Uber, trains and buses no matter what the weather. 

Frequent Contributor

Today I purchased A349634 Arctic Expedition Water Resistant Printed Anorak in Pink Camo and A369063 in Pink for my trip to NYC Thanksgiving week.   I think with the vest and other layers I should be fine.  And I should be able to wear both pieces here in Georgia (we do have some cold days) and in the mountains.  

Trusted Contributor

@Ann52 wrote:

Today I purchased A349634 Arctic Expedition Water Resistant Printed Anorak in Pink Camo and A369063 in Pink for my trip to NYC Thanksgiving week.   I think with the vest and other layers I should be fine.  And I should be able to wear both pieces here in Georgia (we do have some cold days) and in the mountains.  

Worse comes to worst, you buy a sweatshirt while you're here if you're still cold. Also, there are vendors all over midtown who sell scarves, hats and gloves.