Respected Contributor

Another Hawaii cruise question

We are planning a round trip cruise to Hawaii from LA next year. Princess has them in March or April while Celebrity only has 1 in late October. What would be the best time to go? TIA!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

Re: Another Hawaii cruise question

Don't forget your Quaker Factory clothes.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Super Contributor

I would go in October- March and April are usually very heavy rainy days- it is still in the high 80's in October which makes for very comfortable touring- costs too much money to go to Hawaii to have it ruined by rain

Honored Contributor

Anytime is a great time to go IMO, but if I had to choose, I’d choose April because it is not the rainy season and the winter crowds are dying down. I would not cruise the last week of April though. It gets very crowded everywhere in Hawaii,  because the Japanese people are there for vacation. It is Golden Week and they celebrate 4 national holidays in one weeks time.  

Second choice is late October. ( this was difficult to decide, I like October and April about the same) The crowds are dying down from summer, kids are in school.  It is the beginning of the rainy season though

Last choice is March.  Too much chance of rain and cruises are heavily booked by people looking to get away from cold weather.  Still too crowded for me and I don’t like rain on vacation.

Esteemed Contributor

We have the opportunity to go with a group.  But the price point is over the top.  And we will be charged insurance (if we buy it) that is crazy high.  We have decided to pass and go somewhere else.  Last state... and on my bucket list but we are not going to do it.  

Respected Contributor

I've been to Hawaii many times, all different times of the year and last time we went in March.  The weather was awful, so windy it was miserable and rainy.  I'd suggest going in October, never had a bad wxperience that time of year in the islands.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu   The first time we went to Hawaii, we spent too much.  That was because we were never there before and booked all of these excursions and tours.  What a waste!

After that, we have gone with really great deals.  One time we flew from Baltimore, MD to Ohau and stayed five nights in a Hotel at Wykiki Beach for less than $400 a person...I kid you not.

We walked almost everywhere and rented a car to drive and see the sights...most of the places we wanted to see had no admission cost.  The paid tours are expensive to go to places that are low cost or free.

The best time to go, price wise is around November from my experience. That is the shoulder season and the prices go lower.

I mostly got the information for low cost travel in Hawaii from Travelzoo.  They have packages and hotels and air fare, so you can shop for the best cost.

Hawaii is expensive, but you can make it affordable by just checking prices out often.  These low cost deals,aren’t there all of the time, but they are there once in a while.  You  have to be diligent in looking so you don ’t miss them.

Respected Contributor

Just returned from visiting 4 of the Hawaiian Islands....  Honolulu, Big Island, Kauai and Maui.  We were there from April 7 to the 19th.  The weather was beautiful.  The key is WHERE on the Island you are.  Up North could be pouring and flooded, whereas South is sunny, as was the case when we were in Kauai.  The day we visited up North for lunch it was drizzling.  When we got to our hotel in the Southern part of the Island it was beautiful. That night, the North has 27" of rain in 24 hours and mud slides.  South was sunny with a few clouds!  Our weather was a combination of sun and clouds in the upper 70s to mid 80s.  When we got a few sprinkles, it was for under a minute, and then the SUN!   We did not do a cruise.