Esteemed Contributor

Announcement - this is Incredible! Your input needed -

I never thought in a million years - or even a billion! - that I would get over my F0F (fear of flying).....but.......I do believe I have this situation handled!

(I don't want to try to explain how I did it, it's very personal and complicated - sorry.)

I am so excited!

I've been on an airplane ONE TIME in my life and that was over 30 years ago!  (Nothing bad happened).

So basically:  I know nothing, zilch about flying.

I need to be eduMAcated.

Please fill me in on everything you can possibly think of, that I'd need to know.

Or any miscellaneous flying tales you care to relate....!

Honored Contributor

Re: Announcement - this is Incredible! Your input needed -

If it's something you want to do, and you have overcome your fear, what is there to add?

I hope everything works out for you.

i don't fly.   I used to fly A LOT, quit flying even before 9/11, rather drive or take the train.

Trusted Contributor

I fly a few times a year, and do enjoy it.  Flying has changed a lot in 30 years.  The seats and the space between seats have been made quite a bit smaller and tighter.  My husband and I try to upgrade, even though it adds significantly to the cost.  Congratulations on your accomplishment and enjoy your flight!

Esteemed Contributor

@software  I'm speaking of all the tips people have - which is the BEST AIRLINE - which seat to sit in - how to board early - essentials to bring on the plane - etc.

I did fill out a TSA pre-check form while ago. As soon as I get my birth certificate, (if I don't already have one), I'll go and wrap it up.

Esteemed Contributor

Congrats!  I hate to fly.  Terrified, until I finally accepted that I could not see my family unless I did it.

My secret sauce is to check my bag, carry my e-reader and a small purse on the plane with essentials, and select a seat near the back of the plane and on the aisle.  Then just relax and enjoy.  (Also, wear something comfy that won't bag or grab my behind when I get up.)

My flights to family are about 5 hours.  I try to avoid thinking about the time, and try to ignore turbulence.  I hate take off and landing, but I try to trust the pilot.  Here I am.  So far, so good.

Happy trails.🛫🛬

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Congratulations on tackling your fears.  Pack all your stuff in your suitcase and check it.  One less thing to worry about. Exception is valuables, but I leave them home.  Only pack essentials to carry on.  For me that's a stack of magazines, snacks, gum, readers, tissues.  I dress comfortable and in layers.  I fly United and Delta basically because that's what flies out of my little airport.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Congrats!  I hate to fly.  Terrified, until I finally accepted that I could not see my family unless I did it.

My secret sauce is to check my bag, carry my e-reader and a small purse on the plane with essentials, and select a seat near the back of the plane and on the aisle.  Then just relax and enjoy.  (Also, wear something comfy that won't bag or grab my behind when I get up.)

My flights to family are about 5 hours.  I try to avoid thinking about the time, and try to ignore turbulence.  I hate take off and landing, but I try to trust the pilot.  Here I am.  So far, so good.

Happy trails.🛫🛬

Okay, you have your checked bag, and then a carry-on bag - what do you do with your purse? (Probably stupid questions but I really don't know.........) Oh wait, I looked at your post again and you said you take your purse on the plane....?

Respected Contributor

A lot depends on the airport with the requirements of TSA. I noticed larger airports have more sophisticated detectors, so you just walk through. Smaller ones I’ve had to remove, shoes, belt, jacket, watch...  So dress accordingly and easy off / on shoes are a must.  Keep in mind, While this is happening you are trying to watch all your belongings on the belt...

Esteemed Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow, congratulations on getting your fear of flying under control. 

We don't fly as often as we did, but I am the one who makes the reservations, so this is what I do to make it easier on us.  BTW, I am not a fan of flying, but I like it better than a road trip.

First, I upgrade if it is available and not too expensive.  I always have an aisle seat, and DH prefers a window.  We don't care if someone sits between us, generally.  I like to be closer to the front of the plane, so upgrading gives me an opportunity to look at seats and pay for the ones that we want.  If first class seats are having a special, which is not too often any longer, I grab them.

Second, I take an e-reader and have calming music to listen to on the flight.  I usually will also bring the saved Sunday crossword puzzles from the newspaper and a magazine, just in case.

Then, when I get in the area of the assigned gate, I get a bottled water for the plane. 

You can also bring your own container and use a water fountain.

I bring a wrap or something to keep me warm, because I find that planes can be somewhat chilly.  I also bring a travel pillow.

I can travel anywhere with a carry-on, but DH takes everything.  Just make sure that you are not over the weight limit with your luggage.  Some airlines charge a lot and others will let up to a pound go without a charge.  

We usually fly American, which we prefer.  We did fly Alaska Airlines to Alaska via Seattle last year and it was the worst flight ever.  Seats were not only cramped, but even with making the reservations months in advance, we still could not get seats anywhere near each other.  

Many boarding early have an airline credit card.  If you upgrade your seats, quite often you will get some type of priority boarding.  I usually don't care since I don't want to sit on the plane any longer than necessary.

Make sure your electronics are charged before you get to the airport.

If you are parking at one of the parking lots in the vicinity of the airport, take a picture of where your car is parked.  Also, take a picture of the name and phone number of the parking area.  You don't want to return and not remember where your car is parked.  Also, make sure that the lights are off, doors are locked, and everything is ok before leaving your car in the lot.  If you are taking bus/limo/ride transport to the airport, check to make sure that you don't leave your phone or anything else in the seat when you get out.

Before leaving home, take a picture of your doors and windows so that you can see that they were locked and take a picture of your stove/iron to show that they are turned off.  

The most important thing is to make sure that you have a wonderful time.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow, yes, I don't carry much on the plane.  I fly in the United cheap seats and they can get pretty particular about the size of the bag you bring on, so I consolidate it all into a messenger style purse that fits easily under the seat in front.  I put contacts, meds, wallet, sunglasses in there, and I forgot, my Nintendo DS (amusement).  Cell phone, charger.

Makes it easy to disembark, too.  No horsing around, fumbling around in the overhead bin.  I swear, we in the cheap seats pay the price for the excesses of those who consistently jam up the bins with way more than they oughta'.

Enjoy your travels!✈️

Cogito ergo sum