Honored Contributor

I have no plans on flying in the near future so, I started researching Amtrak COVID procedures.  Looks safer than flying on a plane.  *At this time*  trains are not 100% full (appears less than 50%), masks required, seating 6 ft apart in all compartments (unless you are with household family members).  Snack bar/lounge car you cannot eat or lounge there.  You have to bring your snacks back to your seat.

Dining car you can enjoy your meals w/the same restrictions mentioned above.

When I entered the State, month & day I wanted to travel, the train was 5% full.  Checked again yesterday & it's still 5%.  I am going to call the local Amtrak to find out what the maximum capacity is.  I suspect it depends where you are travelling to.

After I am vaccinated, I may take a "test" train ride to Ga.  Then I read N.J. travel restrictions which was updated 4/5/2021.......

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at Wed, Apr 7, 2021-4.02.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at Wed, Apr 7, 2021-4.05.10 PM.png

I surely hope the above changes in a few months.  N.J. has all the variants (except for that new on that cropped up in California) & is one of the top 5 states spreading COVID to other states.Smiley Sad

Being fully vacinnated appears less of a hassle....

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at Wed, Apr 7, 2021-4.02.19 PM.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

My daughter took Amtrak last night from Washington DC to Wilmington De and she said it was a sh*t show.  She did not feel safe.  People crowded the entrance to the train- no single file line with people safely distanced.  There was no one sitting next to her but there were people around her closer than 6 feet.  The train was crowded- she estimated that it was more than 50% full.  They announced that all passengers had to wear their masks throughout the trip unless actively eating or drinking but when the conductor came through to punch tickets he was not wearing a mask. 

Honored Contributor

shocked-smiley-emoticon.gif

Oh Lawd!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Though fully vaccinated DH & I have decided no air or train travel until next year. If we decide to go somewhere we'll drive.

Respected Contributor

I have not traveled since the virus.  

However, my good friend has been an airline attendant for the past 35 years.  She flew all during the virus and followed guidelines and she never got the virus.  She has just retired last month and no longer flying.

I am not sure how safe I would feel on a plane or train????????  I hope they all follow guidelines and that passengers are safe!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Though fully vaccinated DH & I have decided no air or train travel until next year. If we decide to go somewhere we'll drive.

@NicksmomESQ  Normally, driving from So. Joisey to Ga is around 19 hrs straight through after taking pee breaks & maybe 1 meal at a turnpike eatery.

If I drove, it would take me a whole year to reach Ga.  I would need to stop driving after 3 hrs & get me a HOTEL room w/a pool.  No MOTEL for me! After resting up for a day or two, MAYBE I'll get on the way.  Depends on how nice the HOTEL pool is. whistling.gif

If I let the paramour drive, I'll be in Ga in 5 hrs Smiley LOL(added on 2 hours from being stopped for speeding in South Carolina=SPEED TRAP state icon_exclaim.gif).

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac   😂 I was referring to DH & myself. We wouldn't drive long distance. Maybe to Pennsylvania or Boston to visit friends.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@NicksmomESQ  Normally, driving from So. Joisey to Ga is around 19 hrs straight through after taking pee breaks & maybe 1 meal at a turnpike eatery.

If I drove, it would take me a whole year to reach Ga.  I would need to stop driving after 3 hrs & get me a HOTEL room w/a pool.  No MOTEL for me! After resting up for a day or two, MAYBE I'll get on the way.  Depends on how nice the HOTEL pool is. whistling.gif

If I let the paramour drive, I'll be in Ga in 5 hrs Smiley LOL(added on 2 hours from being stopped for speeding in South Carolina=SPEED TRAP state icon_exclaim.gif).

@Mz iMac @NicksmomESQ 

We just drove from FL - SE PA via I-95.  Plan on many traffic standstills VA north....across every traffic lane.  The worst by far was through Fredricksburg ( suggest taking the I-295 bypass and saving almost one hour ).

There was hardly any traffic on Rt. 301 in MD and it was scenic.  Best suggestion of my GPS !!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

@jlkz - I've been driving I 95 for years and the traffic has always been like that. Now it extends to portions of MD as well.

Trusted Contributor

@Mz iMac 

I had to smile when I read your post.  I have been listening to Gladys Knight and the Pips singing

"Midnight Train to Georgia". 

Although the train in that song was leaving LA,

and apparently never existed, it is such a wonderful song, and I love Gladys with the Pips in the background.