Valued Contributor

Re: American Airlines: poor customer service

@granddi 

Your story is becoming more the normal these days!  

DH travels for business on DELTA (The Not Always On Time Airline)   RISKY TRAVEL!

One night his 9PM  connection puddle jump from ATL to SW GA was cancelled ?? Oh they could offer him another flight at 9PM  24hours later?  No food or hotel vouchers.  ??   

I told him to get to the rental car area and sign up for a car - most were already sold out!  

He found a car he could pick up early the next morning.  He was exhausted. He got a little sleep and at dawn drove to our local airport about 3hours away from the ATL airport.  

His truck was parked at our local puddle jump airport, turned in the rental car and came HOME!   NO THANKS TO DELTA of course.  

He has run into all sorts of troubles with DELTA...no crew?  no plane?  weather?  

plane here but no crew?   crew here but no plane or plane having mechanicals?  

on and on... 

Our local puddle jump DELTA terminal (newly built for a lot of money) has recently cut back on flights and of course overbook because they can.  He often drives his truck to the ATL airport because he can.   Delta used to be ready when you are?  NO MORE!  

Try to Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

Honored Contributor

My experience has also been that United is the worst of them all.

Delta is quite risky. I have posted before that they offer the tightest connections of all the airlines.  There is always a Delta employee a the end of the gateway to give passengers their connection changes.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

DH normally flies on United for work trips.  I haven't flown in years, which is fine with me.  We're flying to Ft. Lauderdale in February and can't be delayed so I was only researching non-stop flights on the various airlines.  If we get delayed on the return trip it isn't as big of a deal.  I really wanted to fly Southwest (have heard good reviews on them) but in checking prices over the course of a good month let's say, AA was holding at the best price I could get, and the seats were in first class.  Plus, non-stops seem to be few and far between, at least from what I saw.  The other airlines I was checking were double the price and not all in first class.  I know I could have played the waiting game, hoping for a better deal to come along, but there's always the chance that that could work against me too.  I ended up with a non-stop leaving at a convenient time and first class seats priced within our budget, so with we're flying American.  I was pretty happy with the bennies for first class too.  I'm just going to stay positive and believe we'll have a fine flight with no snags.

Valued Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Many years ago we (me,DH and 17yo Kiddo)  flew to Barcelona Spain on a DH business trip.  (DELTA)

My very good well traveled friend (Lydia from Panama) told us to get a DIRECT FLIGHT!  

She said even if it a higher price it will be worth every penny and we may even wind up at our destination with our checked luggage!  ??   

I thought this was pretty good advice at the time and we did not have to worry with connecting flights and all THAT entails.  

We found a direct flight both ways to Barcelona Spain.  and yes, worth every penny! <G> 

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

Honored Contributor

@gacat123 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Many years ago we (me,DH and 17yo Kiddo)  flew to Barcelona Spain on a DH business trip.  (DELTA)

My very good well traveled friend (Lydia from Panama) told us to get a DIRECT FLIGHT!  

She said even if it a higher price it will be worth every penny and we may even wind up at our destination with our checked luggage!  ??   

I thought this was pretty good advice at the time and we did not have to worry with connecting flights and all THAT entails.  

We found a direct flight both ways to Barcelona Spain.  and yes, worth every penny! <G> 

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

Exactly!  I don't want to take any chances. 

Honored Contributor

What is going on with airlines today?  Also, with is going on with some people flying on airlines today?  Delays, making people give up their seats, dragging people off the plane.   As far as people go, quite a few are acting up and fighting on planes.  I hate flying today and stay away from it with good reason.  HeartCat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I haven't had terrible experiences with either American or United but I really don't like them either.  My worst however has been with Frontier Airlines.  I won't go into details but I arrived at Ft. Lauderdale airport at 8 am and didn't leave until 10pm after delays and cancellations.

I agree with many of you that Southwest is the best!  I try to fly them whenever I can.  I had an excellent experience with a customer service rep with Southwest who was amazingly helpful, courteous and kind. In addition, can't help from feeling that because of her I've been getting TSA pre-check almost every time I fly now.

Esteemed Contributor

Not near an American hub.  They actually left our area and I had reward points and really no way to travel with them easily.  My daughter and a friend are traveling together in the early fall and I decided to gift them some points.  Took me an entire day navigating their website just to do that.  That one gift took points in a very unorganized fashion... almost by the hour the amounts changed.. from one flight to another.  It was like some game just to make everything come out right. Called so many times for help and they did try.  

I fly Southwest.. no booking problems.. no charges for luggage... no charges if they book for me....