Trusted Contributor

Amalfi Coast/Sorrento Question

I am going on a Princess Cruise and the first island is Sorrento /Amalfi Coast region. Looking at the excursions which include Pompeii, I love each excursion, so I wonder if anyone who has experienced these islands has any recommendations. Thank you
Respected Contributor

Re: Amalfi Coast/Sorrento Question

FYI..........there was a volcanic eruption in Stromboli 2 days ago which is on the Amalfi coast.

Respected Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

FYI..........there was a volcanic eruption in Stromboli 2 days ago which is on the Amalfi coast.

I saw that on the news last night.  The lava and ash were falling into the sea and a tourist boat was struggling at its highest speed to outrace being taken over.  I might look for another area to tour because they said that volcano has been very active.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Calcgirl wrote:
I am going on a Princess Cruise and the first island is Sorrento /Amalfi Coast region. Looking at the excursions which include Pompeii, I love each excursion, so I wonder if anyone who has experienced these islands has any recommendations. Thank you

I did a tour of Italy. I went to both places. You have to decide what you want to see. Pompeii is a large site, and requires you to walk . The guide will talk about what the day was like when the volcano erupted.

I remember,Sorrento riding on a bus, and shopping. Please read about the different places. These are  two great choices. Enjoy.

Esteemed Contributor

You aren’t going to go wrong with whatever excursion you choose. You could probably flip a coin.

That being said, I would typically say to do the Amalfi Coast tour if it is your first time in the area (making sure to sit on the right (?) side of the bus.) However, I don’t know how the volcano comments above effects this tour. I would also say to look at a company like Rome in Limo rather than a ships’s tour.

If one of the tours you are looking at includes Capri, I don’t know how much time you’d actually have on the island and still see Pompeii.

But, like I said, regardless of my comments above, you can’t go wrong with any tour as it’s such a beautiful part of the world.
Regular Contributor

My suggestion is to join Cruise Critic and then join the Rollcall section . You will save much money and get your money's worth . I have done this cruise and we joined the roll call and saw Pompei and Sorreto and more stops , eight hour tour , lunch on the Amalfi Coast . Have many fond memories . 

Respected Contributor

@Calcgirl I loved romantic Sorrento.  Very nice city to walk thru - shopping, etc.  You can easily catch the ferry to Capri if Ischia.  Ischia is less crowed and just as beautiful.  There is a train there also canned Circum Vesuvius (sp) which takes you around the area and to Pompei.  Lots of waking in Pompei.  

Contributor

The Amalfi Coast and Sorrento are not islands. The closest island to Sorrento is Capri. 

You've got a tough choice.  I've been to the region and saw both Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast.  I enjoyed touring the towns along the coast more than Pompeii, but that's because I have a hard time visualizing archaeological sites as they once were.  

Trusted Contributor

@Calcgirl wrote:

@Calcgirl  I would go to all of the excursions, if I were you. I would love to return to the Amalfi Coast! Breathtaking! I also really enjoyed Pompeii. It's amazing how much of the city has been preserved all these centuries later. The history and innovations in this city made this an excellent stop. You must go! Have a great trip! And eat lots of gelato for me! Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Calcgirl :  You didn't post your itinerary but because you are in Mediterranean,if you are going to Ephesus (imho way better than Pompeii) don't miss Terrace Houses of Virgin Mary's home.